Chapter 2

Draco turned slowly and looked at his mother.  Once she had been the epitome of all pureblood witches: wealthy, beautiful, and powerful.  Now, she looked drained.  Her skin seemed to hang off her face, it's youthful plumpness gone.  The crinkles around her once beautiful hazelnut eyes were a result of the constant shedding and drying of tears.  Draco frowned remembering that she had endured the same torment throughout the years of being under Voldemort's thumb as he had.  She had wanted no part in it, just like him.  With threats of death, torture, and worse, the two of them were forced to take part in whatever He Who Must Not Be Named had planned.  Even after the Dark Lord's death, Narcissa and Draco were reminded relentlessly by Lucias that they were to continue as if they had not lost the battle at Hogworts.  Finally, after countless hushed conversations between mother and son, they planned to escape from their husband and father.

            The tall trees, lush grass, and gentle breeze were not familiar to Draco or Narcissa, but they welcomed it as though it were a true home.  They were finally safe.  Mother and son turned to look at each other, tears streaming from Narcissa's bruised eye from where Lucias had hit her.  Despite her crying, a smile spread across her face.  The two locked in a fierce embrace, knowing that they had forged themselves a new life; one that would offer stability, peace, and (though Draco couldn't see it now) forgiveness.

            Reaching into Narcissa's suitcase with cool, thin fingers, Draco pulled out a weathered tent, waiting to be set up.  He and Narcissa pitched their temporary home without the use of magic, working with their hands in an attempt to ease their anxious nerves, still in disbelief that they were finally free.  They walked inside only to step onto lush carpet and look upon a small, but efficient, kitchen, a set of solid oak bunk beds, and a comfortable living area.  They would only stay for one week until Draco left for Hogworts, and would have to visit Diagon Alley to purchase school supplies.  Despite what he had said on his way to Hogworts during his sixth year, Draco was very much looking forward to finally returning to his old school.

            He put his hand into his deep pocket to pull out what had caused him and his mother to almost be caught escaping: a ring.  He turned it over in his hand, smiling, remembering the day he had gotten it.  It was made during his fourth year, after seeing Hermione Jean Granger at the Yule Ball.  He had always been interested by Hermione, but had dismissed any possibility of them having any sort of relationship due to the fact that she was a Mudblood, as his father often reminded him.  He could still remember seeing her descend the stairs, only to be overcome with disappointment and a strong urge to protect her when Viktor Krum took her by the arm.  Draco barely had paid attention to his own date the whole night, for all of his attention was on Hermione.  The day after the Yule Ball, Draco set out into the chill morning air to create a gift to give to Hermione.  A simple, yet elegant, gold ring seemed to fit her perfectly, he had decided.  He had his message inscribed on the inside, something written by a muggle but had seemed suiting, "Within you, I lose myself.   Without, I find myself wanting to be lost again."  For thinking of Hermione was the only thing that kept him anchored when the ground beneath his feet began to shake.  When he was about to break, he would think about telling Hermione how he truly felt.

            "Draco, dear, this is your chance.  You finally can be the man I know you are.  You don't have to hide anymore, sweet boy," Narcissa said as she cupped her son's face in her hands, tears rolling down her face. 

            "No more hiding," Draco agreed.  He knew that was the only way for Hermione to love him for what he truly was.  He would have to allow himself to, for the first time in his life, become vulnerable.