Chapter 3

"WHAT?!" Ron, Ginny, and Harry all immediately started cursing and yelling objections to Hermione agreeing to Professor McGonagall's request to serve Hogworts as Head Girl. The three sitting in front of her were elated by the fact she would be receiving such an honor- until they found out about who had been granted the position of Head Boy.

"There's no way in hell you're sharing a bed with Malfoy! Goodness, Hermione, we're your friends you can't expect us to let you do something so ridiculous," Ron was breathing heavily due to his anger at the situation. Hermione merely stared at him, her brow furrowed because of the rising pain in her tongue from biting it in an attempt to keep from responding. Hermione's mind was racing with her own thoughts. Why are they so against Draco? Harry told us about finding him in the bathroom crying after Katie had been hurt. I know, it was also because he was trying to kill Dumbledore, but I honestly believe he was only doing so out of fear of Voldemort. There's something good in Draco Malfoy, I'm completely confident in that. I'm not afraid of him. Why can't they see that?

"I'm not sharing a bed with him- just a dormitory. We don't know what he'll be like though. Clearly McGonagall trusts Draco or she wouldn't have bestowed such a responsibility to him. Besides, even if he hasn't changed, you don't think I've dealt with Death Eaters before?" She rolled up her sleeve to reveal a light pink scar with the word "MUDBLOOD" etched across her forearm by Bellatrix Lestrange. Ron, Harry, and Ginny suddenly found their shoes fascinating, averting their attention to their laces. Harry was the first to break the silence.

"We know you're capable, Hermione. Everyone knows that you can handle that kind of...situation. We just don't want you to have to worry. You deserve a peaceful year; to enjoy being a normal student. We just don't want someone like Malfoy taking that from you." He gazed at her sympathetically. Ron and Ginny looked up at her with the same look of concern and love. She understood their worries, and was truly thankful for their loyal friendship, but she felt she needed to do this. She sat down on the weathered couch and put her hand on Ginny's shoulder.

"Guys, I love you. But at the end of the day, I know that becoming Head Girl means more to me than having a few minor conflicts with Malfoy. If I turn down the position just because of him, he's taken something more valuable than a normal year in my eyes." They all knew she had longed to be Head Girl since her first year at Hogworts.

"Fine. If Malfoy so much as touches you or mutters a single word about you being "inferior" to him..." Ron couldn't finish his sentence, his anger rising at the thought, and resorted to merely widening his eyes and shaking his head. He still felt the need to protect Hermione as if she were his significant other, but she assumed that was just one of the complications of two friends with a complicated history.

Hermione smiled, realizing that she was really going to be Head Girl. She suddenly had a vision of Malfoy smiling at her in their dormitory, running his fingers through his already tousled hair almost as if he were nervous. His blue eyes were flecked with silver and seemed to melt as he looked at her. A smile tugged half of his mouth upwards, effortlessly causing a rush of hot blood to her face.

As soon as the vision had come, it was gone, and Hermione found herself on the well loved couch at the Burrow. She reached her cool fingers to her cheeks to feel the warmth of someone who had been blushing.