Chapter 37

"Hermione?" Draco hovered over her seemingly lifeless body. Tears ran down his nose and dropped onto the floor next to her. Pansy lay motionless and slumped against the wall.

"Draco, what happened?" Professor McGonagall came through the door in a fluster. "The Ministry of Magic is on its way. They notified me that someone had used an Unforgivable Curse." Her wide eyes took in a motionless Pansy and Hermione. She rushed over to the Gryffindor's side and crouched next to her.

"Pansy...she used the Cruciatus Curse and then she...she," Draco couldn't finish speaking. "And we're-we're having a baby. Hermione's pregnant," Draco sobbed. The headmistress rested her hand on Draco's shoulder. They sat on the floor over Hermione as the clocked ticked by.

"Wait...Draco," McGonagall took her wand out of her cloak. She began to mutter a series on spells that sounded foreign to Draco. He sat up and wiped his swollen eyes. He reached out and gently wrapped his hand around Hermione's. Professor McGonagall's string of spells came to an end. They sat in silence. Draco held his breath, waiting for any sign that she was alive. When she offered no response, he hung his head as tears began to collect when he felt Hermione grip his hand.

"Hermione?" He smiled as tears ran down his face. "Sweetheart, please stay here," he pleaded as he placed a kiss on her forehead. He heard the door open but he kept his eyes on Hermione.

"Minerva, the Ministry is on their way. I saw your message to come here, who's-," her face turned white when she saw Hermione slumped on the floor. She rushed over and kneeled next to her and placed her ear to her chest. "She's breathing. We need to get her to the hospital wing immediately." She began to scoop Hermione up in her arm when Draco bent down.

"I've got her, Madame Pomfrey."

"Draco?" She whispered weakly.

"I've got you, Hermione, I've always got you."