Chapter 36

"You disgusting slut," Pansy spit at Hermione as she walked into their dormitory, her wand still pointed at her throat. Hermione reached her hand into her pocket and carefully withdrew her wand.  Pansy saw the flicker of movement and quickly shouted, "Expelliarmus!"  But was countered by Hermione. 

            "Let's play nice now, Pansy," Hermione mocked her.  She wasn't in the mood to be attacked by an unintelligent Slytherin who had thrown herself at every guy in her house since first year, specifically Draco. 

            Pansy fumed, her face becoming redder by the second.

            "Play nice?"  She barked, her eyes becoming mad.  "You're the filthy, disgusting Mudblood!"  She took another step towards Hermione as she thrashed her wand randomly, ejecting hot red bursts of flames.  Hermione muttered, "Aguamente," as she doused out the fire that had spurt from Pansy's wand.

            "I'm not a cheater," Hermione replied flatly with her fists clenched at her sides.  "Get out of my home.  Now."

            Pansy's face looked almost purple, as if she had held her breath for too long.  Her knuckles were white from the way she was clutching at her wand.  She yelled through a clenched jaw, "Crucio!" 

            Hermione felt the pain in her back first, as if someone were breaking each disc in her spine individually.  She felt her back contort into an unnatural angle before she doubled over from the new sharp pain in her spleen.  She fell to the floor with her hands wrapped around her stomach.  The pain began to make her nauseous as she bit her lip to keep from giving Pansy the satisfaction of hearing her scream.

            "Stupey!"  Draco's voice came from above Hermione.  She slumped to the floor when the pain began to seep from her body.  When she lifted her head she saw an enraged Draco, his wand pointed at Pansy, as he descended the stairs.

            "What the hell are you doing here?"  He spit at her.  Pansy immediately began to play with her hair nervously and flirtatiously, as if she were an innocent schoolgirl. 

            "I just heard some ridiculous rumor that you and this Mudblood," she spit the word, "were together, or something like that.  I'm sure that Granger was desperate to think she was even associated with someone like you, Draco."  She began to walk towards him, letting her hips swing as she still twirled her hair. 

            "That's not a rumor."  Draco's voice was serious and controlled, though there was no hiding the rage that was so evidently displayed on his face.  The sound of Pansy's kitten heels tapping against the floors stopped as her jaw dropped. 

            "Surely you're joking.  This is a prank of sorts," she began to laugh hysterically though tears were beginning to form in her eyes. 

            "Not in the slightest.  I love Hermione with all of my heart."  He still had his wand raised at Pansy.  Her pug face began to redden again.  "And if you ever try to hurt her or our baby ever again, I'll have you begging for the dementor's kiss." 

            Pansy shuttered at Draco's words, though her face was still bright red and furious.  She turned slowly to face Hermione who still lay on the floor.

            "You're pregnant?"  She said through gritted teeth.  "With Draco's baby?"

            "Yes," Hermione said clearly as she placed her hand on her stomach.  Pansy stood silent for a moment, trembling, before a guttural scream left her lips right as she raised her wand and yelled, "Avada Kedavra!"

            Draco flicked his wand towards Pansy and said nothing.  He let the intense, overwhelming feelings of love and protection that he felt for Hermione and their unborn child flow through his fingertips and into his wand.  A bright, burning pale blue beam of light emerged from the tip of his wand and crashed into Pansy and her curse.  She went flying across the room as the bright green light of the Avada Kedavra curse met Hermione's heart.