Chapter 60

As her dress trailed softly behind her, the world slowly fell away. The Hogwarts students dressed in their best robes, the ceiling of the Great Hall and its bright blue sky, flecked with puffs of white clouds, and the candles and flowers strewn about the room ignored as Hermione and Draco locked eyes.

As Hermione's father passed her hand from his to Draco's, her father and her future husband's gaze met for just a moment, as they exchanged a short nod of understanding. I will take care of her, it said, as Draco's hair gleamed in the golden glow of the room.

With a quick glance about the room, Hermione saw her parents, Narcissa, Luna Lovegood, Neville Longbottom, Madame Pomfrey, Ginny, Ron, and Harry smiling up at her from the front row of pews. Harry smiled at Max as he held the baby in his arms, his tufts of white blonde hair, so much like his father's, smoothed across his head, as Angelica squirmed in her grandmother's grasp.

"We are here today to celebrate the union of Draco Lucius Malfoy, and Hermione Jean Granger," said Professor McGonagall, her voice methodical and pleasant as she stood in front of them.

Hermione watched as Draco's eyes shone as he said his vows, his voice low and steady, a soft rumbling of thunder, as a single tear fell from his eye in a flash of light. He smiled as he felt Hermione's thin finger brush across his cheek, swiping away the silvery streak from his skin.

She stood tall, her own eyes brimming with tears as she said her vows. She felt Draco's hands tighten around her own, his flesh cool and soft as his fingers brushed the tops of her hands.

"Draco, do you take Hermione to be your wedded wife, to live together in marriage?" McGonagall's eyes glistened, a film of moisture covering her moss colored gaze. "Do you promise to love her, comfort her, honor and keep her for better or worse, for richer or poorer, in sickness and health, and forsaking all others, be faithful only to her, for as long as you both shall live?"

"I do," said Draco, the corners of his lips twitching as he smiled.

"And do you, Hermione, take Draco to be your wedded husband, to live together in marriage? Do you promise to love him, comfort him, honor and keep him for better or worse, for richer or poorer, in sickness and health, and forsaking all others, be faithful only to him, for as long as you both shall live?"

"I do," she said delicately, her cheeks flushing as she beamed at her husband.

"You may now seal this union with a kiss!" McGonagall smiled as the rows of students, family, and loved ones cheered, their roars of celebration echoing in the rafters as Hermione felt Draco's lips press against her own.

Draco took Hermoine's face in his hands, cupping her cheeks as he pressed his lips softly against hers, his heart hammering against his chest. The pounding of his heart tethered him to the earth, reminding him this moment, this wonderful moment, was real. The beating in his chest the only thing keeping him from believing this was all a dream.

As their lips pulled away, Hermione beamed up at her husband, her cheeks rosy and lips full. He wrapped his arms around her as she pressed her head into his chest, her curls tickling his chin, as they gazed at their children and friends, waving at them from the front row.

"I love you, Hermione," Draco whispered to her, his breath brushing warmly against her ear. She lifted her head from his chest and gazed up at him, her eyes glowing as the sunlight passed through the window and swirled in her hazel depths, swimming in a vortex of light.

"I love you too, Draco."