Chapter 38

As Hermione's eyelids began to flutter open, she was knocked with a wave of nausea and dizziness. She felt as if she had stepped in front of a train, based on the way her body ached, particularly right above her heart. She reached a hand up to rest her fingers on her chest to find that it was heavily bandaged in gauze and linen. A cool, comfortable hand laced its fingers into Hermione's fragile hand. Draco appeared blurrily above her. His eyes were swollen and his face glistened with tears.

"Hermione?" He whispered delicately as he brushed a stray strand of hair away from her forehead. He didn't dare let go of her hand. She looked at him and smiled slightly. He bent down and kissed her gently on the forehead, a tear accidently running down his face and landing on the pillow next to her.

"Hermione, I'm so sorry... I love you so much, this never should've happened," he shook his head as tears began to well up in his eyes. "I'm not good for you," he muttered, thinking she wouldn't hear. She bolted up in bed. She grabbed her forehead as the room began to spin around her. Draco's hands rested on her shoulder to try to encourage her to lie down. She batted his hands away and looked at him intently.

"How can you say that?" She almost yelled as anger began boil inside of her. Draco looked at her with wide eyes filled with shock. "Are you an idiot? How could you say something so unbelievably stupid, Draco Malfoy."

"I-I don't,"

"How could you say you're not good for me?" She interrupted, slamming her fist on the bed. Draco's mouth twitched into a smile, only infuriating Hermione further. "Why the hell are you grinning like an idiot?"

"I'm sorry, you're just so cute when you're angry," he reached over to touch her face. She smacked his hand away.

"I swear I'll hex you if you don't tell me why you would say you're not good for me."

Draco's face became serious again, his puffy eyes returned to their original state of sadness and fear. Her heart dropped seeing him this way. She was all right, after all. She couldn't even remember what had happened in the dormitory.

"Pansy cast a- what do you remember from last night?"

"I remember Pansy coming in, calling me a cheater, a Cruciatus curse, you coming downstairs, her asking me if I was pregnant with your baby, and then her screaming before everything went black." She spoke almost nonchalantly as she hurried through the details of last night. Draco sighed and sat down in the chair next to Hermione's bed in the hospital wing. He placed his elbows on his knees with his head in his hands before he ruffled his hair and looked into Hermione's eyes.

"If you had stayed with Ron, you would've never gotten pregnant and never had to deal with Pansy. All of this is my fault, Hermione. I don't want you to get hurt." He hung his head.

"Draco, I'm strong," she spoke softly and encouragingly. "I know that I am. Even if I wasn't, I would die for you." Draco's head lifted and his eyes widened. He opened his mouth to talk but Hermione interrupted him. "I would gladly die for you. I love you more than you know, Draco. To live and not have you in my life would be a different kind of death. Don't ever say you're not good for me. You're the best things that's ever happened to me."

Draco grasped her hand and tugged one corner of his lips into a smile.

"You're my best friend, Hermione."

"I love you, Draco." She leaned over and gave him a kiss. "What happened last night? I can't remember anything after Pansy yelling."

"Last night," he sighed, "Pansy cast an... an Avada Kedavra curse on you, Hermione." His eyes became glassy as he remembered seeing the jet of green light crash into her. Hermione's gaze became unfocused.

"Why am I here then? Alive, I mean. How am I alive?"

"I don't know, Professor McGonagall is trying to figure it out. I cast a spell, something that either was never recorded or something I just sort of...came up with, I suppose." He shook his head and stared at the floor.

"You came up with a spell?" Hermione sat forward in her bed. "Did it have an incantation?"

"No, it was just- wait, that's not important. You ­died last night, Hermione. I watched the curse hit you square in the chest. Don't you know what that means?"

Hermione stared at her white linen sheets. She couldn't think of anything that would have an effect on her. She was in one piece, felt fine, and was alive. She looked at Draco and saw his silver, blue eyes. She hoped that their baby had his eyes. Then she remembered; the baby.

"Draco," tears began to flood her eyes, making the room around her blurry. "Is the baby okay?"