Chapter 31

Belatrix wrapped the stone in the silk that lay on the table. She stuck it unceremoniously into her pocket before leaving through the back door of the shop.

"We have to follow her," Draco whispered. They quickly set off, trying to be as quiet as possible while sliding down the slanted roof. They hid behind the corner of a building as they watched a cloaked woman scurry down an alley. Trying to stay out of earshot, they followed behind her, allowing several meters to develop between them.

"Oh no," Hermione muttered as she slowed her gait and held her hand to her mouth.

"What's wrong?" Draco asked, placing a hand on her shoulder and took her available hand. Hermione began to gag, her hand still clasped tightly over her mouth. "Oh, right." Draco looked to his mother who watched them skeptically.

"I don't know what I can do. A spell or potion might hurt the baby but we have to keep, oh gosh," she couldn't finish her sentence as she felt another wave of nausea crash into her.

"What's going on?" Narcissa asked sympathetically, yet with a slight disciplinary tone. "She's getting away."

Draco and Hermione looked at each other before she fell to her knees and began throwing up. Draco held her hair out of her face. When Hermione sat up, she wiped her sleeve across her mouth before nodding at Draco.

"Hermione's pregnant." Narcissa first opened her mouth as if she were about to scold her son. She shut her mouth and let out a deep breath,

"Let's go home."

"Mum, what about Belatrix?" Draco asked, bewildered. Hermione began to throw up again. She was in no condition to go hunting down a Death Eater. He nodded his head as he grasped his mother's arm and gripped onto Hermione's hand. In a blink they all were in the great room of their small cottage.

"How far along are you?" Hermione shifted uncomfortable at Narcissa's question. She couldn't gage how she was feeling about the situation.

"I-I don't know. I just found out yesterday."

"Are you keeping the baby?"

"Well, I don't know, maybe," she nervously stumbled over her words.

"Yes, we are," Draco clasped Hermione's hand and gave his mother a stern look of determination.

"Well, first we should find out how far along you are. You'll need some medical attention, too." She thought for a moment, tapping her knee with her finger. "I want to find out more about this stone and if there has been anything like whatever Belatrix has in the past." Narcissa took a deep sigh and shut he eyes for a moment. The silence felt long and uncomfortable for Draco and Hermione. "I feel it's best for you both to return to Hogworts."

"What? No!" Hermione sat up quickly, only to return to the floor clutching her stomach. Draco sat with her, holding her hand.

"Mum, that's unnecessary. We can help you."

"You'll be more help where our Hermione has access to a library to find out about this stone." Hermione's eyes widened as she buried her face in her hands and began to cry.

"Sweetheart, what is it?" Draco wrapped his arms around her. Narcissa patted her shoulder.

"Everyone will know that I'm pregnant. They'll think I'm some stupid slut who got herself knocked up."

"First of all, unplanned pregnancy is not a matter of intelligence. You are the smartest witch of our age, Hermione Granger. Also, no one needs to know that you are pregnant, yet."

"What do you mean? They'll find out eventually when it looks like I'm smuggling a beach ball under my shirt."

"There's a spell that pregnant witches often use to conceal they're baby bump. It's not comfortable, but woman use it to fit into little black dresses for an evening or, in cases like your own, hide that they're pregnant all together."

"So we can keep this between us three?" Hermione looked expectantly at the two Malfoys.

"We have to tell Madame Pomfrey. She'll be in charge of your prenatal care and whatnot." Narcissa would not budge on this. Her grandchild would have every chance of being healthy and strong, and she would see to it. "I will not tell anyone else though. You have my word."

"Thank you, Cissy."

"You're welcome, dear. Now go pack. The two, or three I should say," Narcissa smiled at Hermione's abdomen, "are going back to Hogworts."