Chapter 40

Madam Pomfrey sat next to a handsome man on a sagging mattress. She wore a silk nightdress with thin straps, while the man was shirtless and wore only his boxer briefs. Shining silver wedding bands caught the light on the fourth finger of both of their left hands. They both had their palms on Madam Pomfrey's abdomen and smiled at her womb lovingly before embracing in a sweet, gentle kiss.

"Poppy, she's going to be beautiful," the man smiled up at her, his eyes glistening. She cupped his face in her hands and kissed the tip of his nose, his cheek, the corner of his mouth, and then his lips. Hermione noticed the man's strong jaw and defined muscles. He seemed to have not shaved for a few days, leaving a bit of scruff across his face. His light auburn-blonde hair was thick and full, a strand occasionally falling in front of his eyes.

"What do you think we'll name her?" She smiled up at the man. He bent down and kissed her stomach. He left his head there and smiled up at her.

"I think Angelica is quite a nice name," he sighed. Madam Pomfrey bent at the waist and kissed his forehead gently.

"Horace, I love you," she smiled.

"Horace?" Hermione whispered to herself in shock. "Horace Slughorn?" She looked at the man again, not believing that he could be the man who had taught her Potions. Sure enough, he had the same smile and twinkling eyes. The memory around her began to fall away in silvery wisps, transitioning into a new one. Madam Pomfrey sat on the same bed, her stomach slightly rounder and a different nightdress on.

She was bent over, clutching her sides as she sobbed. Blood soaked the area between her legs and the sheets on the bed. She cried and screamed out of agony and heartbreak. Her hair was soaked with sweat. Horace came running into the room, his black cloak billowing behind him over his brown plaid suit. He rushed over and fell onto his knees in front of her.

"Sweetheart, Poppy, what's wrong?" He asked her, brushing the hair out of her face as his hands shook. He looked down and saw the amount of blood coming from her. He looked up with glassy eyes and sat next to her on the bed silently, his arms wrapped around her shaking body. His eyes scrunched up as silent tears flowed down his face and plinked off the tip of his nose. The memory faded, and Hermione was left sitting in her wheelchair in the empty study in front of the Pensieve.

"She lost the baby," she muttered to herself. A light turned around behind her, causing her to let out a squeal of shock as she spun herself around in her chair.

"Yes, she did," came Professor McGonagall's calm, wavering voice. Her eyes were terribly sad. "And you mustn't bring it up to her. She gave those memories up for a reason, mind you." Her voice wasn't scolding or harsh, but sad, as she looked at Hermione's stomach. "You should rest, dear."

Hermione merely nodded her head and began to push her chair. McGonagall walked up behind her silently and wheeled her to the stairwell and, without a word, caused the wheelchair to float to the ground floor. She then pushed her to the hospital wing and helped her into bed.

"Goodnight, Miss Granger." She turned to walk out of the room. Draco still snored in the bed next to her. The headmistress stopped and turned to face Hermione. "Also, no more adventures. Stay in bed if you wish to get better." And with that she left.

Hermione stared at the ceiling as she wrapped her hands around her abdomen. She noticed how the curve of her abdomen, the one that hadn't been there before. She sat staring at her stomach, thinking of Madam Pomfrey and her baby. The possibility of Hermione losing her child must have brought up the memories of her miscarriage.

"I love you, baby girl," she whispered to her womb. She smiled widely, tears pooling in her eyes when she felt a flutter of movement from inside of her.