Chapter 44

"No!" Narcissa ran over to her husband and crouched over his lifeless body. She shook his shoulders, calling his name desperately, as tears spilled onto his cloak. She fell onto his motionless body, her body heaving as she sobbed.

"Mom! Mom!" Draco yelled desperately to his mother as he screamed his spells at Belatrix. "Mom, you have to get up!" His heart thumped against his chest as he walked towards his aunt. "Avada Kedavra!" He screamed for the first time in his life at Belatrix, only for it to deflect off of her shield charm. He continued towards her until they were only yards away. The smug, twisted smile was no longer on her face as she frantically thrashed her wand about her. Draco finally yelled, "Stupefy," this time the spell hit Belatrix directly in the chest as she fell to the ground motionless.

As everyone began lowering their wands, Draco stormed up to Belatrix and wrapped his hand around her throat.

"You killed my father," he spit into her face as his eyes stung with rage. "You tortured my best friend." He continued tightening his grip around her throat as his own heart pounded harder and harder against his chest. Belatrix's eyes began to widen and her face became increasingly pale.

"Draco, you can't," Hermione wrapped her hand around his shoulder. She pulled him away from his aunt and forced him to face her. Draco continued staring at Belatrix, his jaw clenched. Hermione grabbed his face with both hands and jerked it until he looked at her. His gaze softened as soon as he saw her hazelnut eyes. "Draco, you need to help everyone who's lost their magic. She has to live."

He nodded his head and walked back to his aunt. Arthur Weasley, the Minister, Harry, Narcissa, McGonagall, and Hermione stood around Belatrix, their wands pointed directly at her heart in case she were to someone how escape the stunning spell that Draco had cast. He walked up to his aunt and crouched down until he looked her in the eye.

"What did you do to them?" He spoke through gritted teeth. His aunt's eyes lit up and the corners of her mouth began to lift. Draco asked again, his rage bubbling. "What did you do to them?" His voice began to rise from tense and collected to a scream filled with fury. His aunt smiled malevolently as her skin began to turn a slate gray, the color crawling up her neck, pulsing through her veins, and into her face. Within seconds she had turned completely to stone, her smile now spread widely across her face.

"I never did like your father," she whispered just before she swiped her wand across her body and vanished.