Ch. 5

As Ayana stepped into the police department, she swiftly removed her jacket,determination in her icy eyes. She scanned the bustling precinct, searching for any sign of Joe. Failing to spot him, she approached the front desk, determined to find the answers she sought.

Addressing the familiar officer manning the desk, Ayana inquired, "Excuse me, could you direct me to Detective West, please?" However, the officer seemed to be deliberately ignoring her, engrossed in his own tasks.

Growing increasingly frustrated, Ayana's voice took on an accusatory tone as she spoke again, "It's rather disheartening to witness such blatant disregard for Detective West's foster daughter." Her words pierced through the officer's focus, finally grabbing his attention.

Recognition flickered across the officer's face as he registered Ayana's identity. "Ayana Allen?" Officer Adam Holt exclaimed, astonishment evident in his voice. It seemed he had failed to recognize her at first.

"Yes, that's me," Ayana confirmed, her impatience still lingering in her voice. "Now, could you kindly inform me of Detective West's whereabouts?"

"Oh, Joe is out in the field, but Barry is in his lab," Officer Adam informed Ayana, unaware of the urgency of her situation. The officer's response tested Ayana's patience, and she took a deep breath, fighting the urge to snap at the seemingly incompetent officer. Realizing that time was of the essence, she decided to seek out her brother, Barry, instead.

With determination in her eyes, Ayana made her way towards the lab, her hand resting on the doorknob. However, before she had the chance to enter, a cacophony of crashing sounds erupted from within. Startled, she yanked the door open, only to be violently thrown back into the hallway, her head colliding with the wall. Momentarily dazed, she shook off the impact and pushed herself up, her mind solely focused on reaching Barry.

Ignoring the pain, Ayana entered the lab, her heart pounding in her chest. The sight that greeted her was a chilling one. Barry lay unconscious, his body motionless on the floor. Panic surged through Ayana's veins as she realized the severity of the situation.

"Barry, stay with me!" Ayana exclaimed, lightly slapping her brother's face in an attempt to rouse him. Desperation filled her voice as she sensed the urgency of the situation. Aware that time was running out, she raised her voice, hoping to alert others to the danger.

As multiple pairs of footsteps approached the lab, Ayana continued to scream for help, her voice filled with a sense of urgency and desperation. "Somebody call an ambulance! Barry was struck by lightning! Get medical assistance! Dial 911!" she pleaded, her words echoing through the lab. Her mind raced back to a time when she felt equally helpless, the night her mother had tragically passed away.

With every passing second, Ayana's concern grew, her heart pounding in her chest. She frantically searched for any signs of life in her brother, praying that help would arrive swiftly.

"Bartholomew Henry Allen!" Ayana's voice trembled with a mix of fear and desperation. "You cannot die! Not here, not now! Wake up, dammit! Barry, wake up!" Panic consumed her as she pleaded with her unconscious brother.

Ayana's hands shook as she reached out, gently gripping Barry's shoulders, desperately willing him to regain consciousness. The weight of the situation bore down on her, and tears welled up in her eyes. She couldn't bear the thought of losing her brother.

Time seemed to stand still as Ayana's pleas echoed through the lab, her voice filled with anguish. She fought against the rising tide of panic, attempting to stay focused and strong. Deep down, she knew that her brother's life hung in the balance, and every passing moment felt like an eternity.