Ch. 20

Barry stepped into the familiar bar, his mind focused on a single objective. As he surveyed the dimly lit room, his gaze landed on Leonard Snart's recognizable face.

"Snart, we need to talk," Barry declared, approaching him.

Snart kept his eyes fixed on his plate, refusing to look up. "I'm not leaving your sister," he stated firmly.

"How do you think she'd feel if something happened to you? Huh? How would she feel?" Barry's voice grew slightly louder.

"Nothing is going to happen to me, and she knows it," Snart snapped, tossing his napkin down.

"Really? What makes you so sure?" Barry asked, positioning himself directly in front of Snart.

Snart picked up his glass, downing its contents. He turned around, slamming his fist on the table, causing his drink to spill. His blue eyes darkened, emanating anger.

"Don't you think I know she deserves better?" Snart whispered, glancing at the initials on his palm.

"You really care about her, don't you?" Barry realized, a new understanding dawning on him.

Snart shot him a glare. "More than anything. And I intend to make her happy. That's all that matters to me."

Snart threw a few bills on the table and walked away.

Barry was torn. He had been so determined to keep Ayana and Snart apart that he hadn't realized his own feelings were shifting. Maybe he needed to step back and allow them to fall in love.

"Snart!" he called after him, but Snart was already halfway across the room. Slowing down, he glanced back.

"I think there's something you should see," Leonard raised an eyebrow, his interest piqued.

In a flash, they stood in the time vault. "Where did you-" Leonard began.

"We're at S.T.A.R. Labs. This is the time vault," Barry interrupted.

Snart looked around the vault, stunned. "What's a time vault?"

"Gideon!" Barry called out to the holographic A.I.

"Hello Barry Allen, Leonard Snart," Gideon greeted.

Leonard's eyes widened at the floating head. "What the hell is that?"

"I'm Gideon, an interactive artificial consciousness created by your wife, Ayana Snart," the A.I. explained.

"Did that thing just say wife?" Snart asked, shocked.

The A.I. confirmed, "Indeed, you proposed to Ayana Allen on October 20th, 2015, just before she apprehended you for the murder of Lewis Snart."

Snart fell silent, processing the information. Finally, he spoke up, "How do I know this is real?"

"I can show you," the A.I. replied. A hologram appeared on the wall screen, capturing Leonard's attention.

Leonard watched himself in the hologram, holding the cold gun and staring at a pile of ice.

"You know," Ayana's voice resonated throughout the time vault as she appeared in the hologram. "I was sure the only time I'd put handcuffs on you was in our bedroom."

"If someone's gonna arrest me, I want it to be you," Snart responded, a smirk playing on his lips.

"I guess I'm going to have to get used to sleeping alone again," Ayana said with a playful smile.

"I wouldn't worry about that, I won't be gone long," Snart promised, caressing her cheek.

"Of course you won't, you always manage to escape," Ayana smirked.

Snart looked away. "That's because I'm damn good at what I do."

"Yeah, that too," Ayana sighed, reaching up to place her hand on his chest.

"Let's get married," Snart suggested, grinning.

"I'm about to arrest you, and you're asking me to marry you?" she asked, playfully scowling.

"Yes, I am," he laughed, gently kissing her lips.

"Fine, let's get married," she conceded, pulling him into a kiss.

Pulling away, she looked into his eyes. "But right now," she took a deep breath, "Leonard Snart, you are under arrest. You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say can and will be used against you in a court of law. You have the right to an attorney. If you cannot afford an attorney, one will be appointed for you."

The hologram dispersed, leaving Leonard speechless.