Ch. 22

Ayana took a deep breath as she entered the building, swiping her access card. "Morning Agent Allen," The receptionist greeted her.

"Good morning Agent Brooks." Her hand went straight to her hair as she moved past the desk, entering the elevator.

Without hesitation she hit the button for the top floor. When the doors opened, she pushed the 'Stop' button, looking up at the camera above the elevator, then down at her badge as she pressed the 'Send Request' button. "Permission granted," The computerized voice informed her.

Stepping out of the elevator, she walked to the first floor, checking in with the Security Desk Officer. "Waller expecting you?"

"You do remember who you're talking to, don't you Agent Myers?" Waller asked, her back turned to her new employee.

The agent winced at the sarcastic remark. "Yes, ma'am," she answered, attempting to maintain her composure.

Ayana walked past her to the large mahogany double doors that led to Amanda Waller's office. Pulling them open, she stepped inside, closing them behind her.

Locking eyes with the usually stoic woman, she could feel the tension radiating off of her body. "We need to talk."

Amanda turned to face her, "Always one for dramatics. Please take a seat Agent Allen."

"I can assure you that I'm perfectly capable of standing."

Amanda arched an eyebrow as Ayana handed her a paper, "what's this about Allen?"

"I thought it was pretty straight forward," Ayana stood confidently, "I quit."

Waller's face betrayed none of her emotions as she read the document. After several seconds, she handed the papers back to Ayana. "And how did you come to this decision?"

"Does it matter?" She counters, crossing her arms.

"This is about your soulmate," Amanda surmised, "Leonard Snart was just arrested for the murder of his father, was he not?"

"Something like that," Ayana replied, refusing to look at her boss.

"You're giving up your career for him?" Amanda crossed her arms. "What happened to that cold blooded assassin that I hired?"

"Lets get one thing straight," Ayana began. "There are no strings on me." Her eyes narrowed.

"Except him." Amanda fired back.

Ayana conceded. "Except for him." Her eyes hardened, "Always him."

***

Ayana leaned against the door frame of Iron Heights visitor center. Watching her brother, who sat in one of the stalls, talking to the one and only Leonard Snart.

Her eyes glance down at the rings on her left hand, a small smile playing on her lips.

Barry glanced back at his sister, a small chuckle escaping his lips. He didn't think he'd ever seen his sister smile like that. He should be afraid for her; Snart could easily rip her heart out, given half the chance. But somehow he felt more relaxed than he had in weeks. Something seemed different with her.

Turning back to his conversation, Barry smirked, "I finally figured out your secret."

"And what secret would that be?" Leonard asked in response.

"You'd do anything to protect your sister," Barry paused, "And mine."

"Well I know your secret too," He taunted, "Better hope I don't talk in my sleep."

"You won't," Barry reassured him, "Today just proved what I've always known."

Barry glanced back at his sister once more, "There good in you Snart." He grinned, "You don't have to admit it to me. There's a part of you that knows you don't have to let your past define you. Part of you that wants to be more than just a criminal. For yourself," He motioned his head backwards where Ayana stood, "For her."

"So I should be a hero like you Barry," Leonard thought about it for a moment, "What exactly does that pay again?"

"It's just a matter of time," Barry motioned to the room around them, "Something you'll have a lot of in here."

"Not as much as you think," Leonard countered, his mouth turned upward into a smug smile. "Be seeing you."

"And Barry?" Leonard said through the phone, "Keep an eye on my wife, she's good at getting herself into trouble."