Ch. 39

Ayana stared at the tyrant that her world had revolved around for the last year of her life.

"Ayana Allen," Vandal Savage mused, "Who would have ever thought, 'Nightshade' the great assassin would ever settle down?"

"My name is Ayana Snart," Her eyes were emotionless, "And 'Nightshade' is my past. Not who I am anymore."

Savage nodded slowly, "The soulmate bond has made you weak."

"On the contrary, it's done the exact opposite. I have a reason to fight now,"

Savage cackled, "So foolish of you, Mrs. Snart. To think a mortal could compete with myself. If only you knew how much power and knowledge I truly possess."

Taking a step forward, Ayana narrowed her eyes, "You don't scare me," She smirked, "I've seen death, and you are nothing."

It was in that moment, that Vandal Savage was lost for words. "You'll never live a normal life. An assassin isn't fit to be a mother,"

"Then what the difference between you and I?"

"You see Mrs. Snart, I have lived many lifetimes, I understand mortality. I understand life. You are a mere mortal, and you'll only live once. If you die, there will be no sequel. No do-overs. Do you really want to throw your life away on such a frivolous endeavor?"

"I want the same thing every parent wants."

"Well aren't you the optimist? Do you honestly believe that your family is worth risking your life for?"

Her response was immediate, "Yes."

"Why?"

"Because if I can save my family from further suffering, than that's worth anything to me."

Savage shook his head, the gleam in his eye dimming, "You do love your family don't you? After all the things you've been through, to risk your life for them. Why?"

There was a brief silence, as Ayana closed her eyes.

Taking a deep breath, she opened her eyes again, "Because they are my reason for living."

"That's quite a simple answer," Savage sighed, "yet incredibly naive."

"They are everything to me," She stated matter of factually, "My whole existence revolves around them. Nothing else matters. All I care about is making sure they're safe."

"It's a pity you couldn't give your daughter that consideration," Ayana added.

Savage slammed his hand against the glass that surrounded his cell, "Emotional connections make you weak!"

Turning away, "Love is weakness."

"Yet you still choose to pine over Kendra," She stated dryly, "Or rather the memory of Chyara. A woman you kill over and over again, because you can't have her. Is there anything stronger than the human spirit, Mr. Savage?"

"I am a god," He declared proudly, "I will rule the universe, and destroy anyone that stands in my way."

Leonard entered the room, frowning at the sight of his wife with the monster that destroyed their planet in the future.

He walked beside her, wrapping an arm around her shoulder as he led her out of the room. "What did he say to you?"

Sighing deeply, Ayana buried her face in his chest, "Nothing I didn't already know. He doesn't like losing. Especially when it comes to us."

"He's already lost." Leonard informed, pulling his wife closer to him.

Leonard led her towards their quarters, sitting her down on their bed. Leonard traced his fingers against her protruding belly.

"We just have to drop Savage off with the Time Masters and then we'll be home." He assured her.

"Yeah," She sighed, leaning her head against the back of the bed, "Everything will be fine."

He placed his hand on her swollen stomach, smiling softly at the life inside of her.

"Just promise me something."

"Anything."

"Promise me that when we finally meet our child, that you won't treat her any differently than we treat each other."

"That's easy," He replied.

"Never?"

"Never," He promised.

Reaching out, he pulled her close, kissing her gently on the lips.