Chapter 18

HAPPY MONDAY! Finally had some time so I decided to sit down and write today! I'm so happy to be picking back up with an update, and I know y'all are all excited too! Let me know what you think by leaving a comment and voting! Y'all are the best!

Reyna sat staring at the book in her hands, a random title she'd selected from the shelf, by an author she didn't recognize. She'd been staring at it for the better part of three days now, picking it up each night she entered Phillip's study, but failing to read even a single page before her mind began to wander.

It had been nearly two weeks since Phillip had asked her to move into the house. Two weeks since that awful night in the room she now sat ... the room she sat in every night. She tried not to dwell on it, busying herself during the day while Phillip was away tending to his duties. She'd helped Mrs. Aberman in the kitchen, spent plenty of afternoons helping Luca unload and restock supplies. She'd even played the piano downstairs in the foyer once or twice when no-one was home to hear her unpracticed fingers trail over the keys. But at night, when she entered this room, it was impossible to keep the thoughts away. She was instantly transported back to that night. The one good thing she'd found during her time here had become something she now dreaded. She hated herself for it - hated Lieutenant Muller for it.

She'd been told he'd received punishment for what he'd done. Not for what he'd done to her - no. He was completely justified in that regard, at least where the official rules and code of conduct were concerned. But breaking and entering into a senior officer's quarters? The Stubaf's quarters for that matter? What has a punishable offense - one that he could be severely punished for. And according to Liza, Phillip had seen to it that he was. Lieutenant Muller had received ten lashes and night shift patrol duty for two weeks for what he'd done. A steepp punishment for the crime committed, Liza had told her when she'd visited the barracks to pick up a few spare sets of clothes.

She wished that fact had made her feel better. Wished that him experiencing even a sliver of the pain he'd caused her had made her feel vindicated somehow. It hadn't though. So there she sat, across from the same desk her body had been forcefully pushed down on. She stared at it, chewing on the inside of her cheek as she did.

"You've been quiet tonight," Phillip's voice dragged her from her thoughts. She shook her head, her eyes drawing up from the desk, to the blue ones now gazing at her.

"Just tired," She feigned a smile that didn't quite reach her eyes. "All this rain," She added, waving a hand to the window. It had been raining the past several days, and the constant drizzle hadn't done anything to lift her already dampened spirits, but she knew that wasn't it, and by the look on Phillip's face, so did he.

"A thought for a thought?" He asked, closing the transcripts that sat before him on the desk and sliding them to the side. Bracing against his forearms, he leaned forward, cocking his head to the side expectantly.

"I'm thinking..." She trailed off, trying to come up with something satisfactory. "Can I - can I ask you something?" It wasn't exactly a thought, but the question had been at the forefront of her mind for days - weeks. She hadn't gathered up the nerve to ask it. She wasn't sure if she had the nerve to now either.