Chapter 33

Happy Saturday! Here's a short(ish) chapter for you guys to get you through the weekend! Let me know what you think! :)

Reyna's eyes fluttered open, her arms snaking up over her head in a long stretch as she rolled over. She squinted at the dim sunlight that crept in through the curtains. Propping herself up on her elbows, she looked around the room. She was alone, the place where Phillip had slept beside her now cold to the touch. Gathering the sheets around her bare chest, she sat up, rubbing the drowsiness from her eyes with the back of her hand. 

Memories of last night flashed through her mind, and she smiled softly to herself. It had been everything she'd imagined it to be, and so much more. She could still taste his lips against her's. Could still feel the ghostly touch of his fingers between her legs - him inside her. Her cheeks heated at the memory of it. She'd never known something could feel so good. Could so wholly satisfy her, yet leave her wanting more - needing more. 

Her head hit the pillow with a thud as she fell back onto the bed with a sigh. Turning her head, she looked over at the bedside table, a small slip of paper that hadn't been there the night before catching her eye. Picking it up, she read it. 

Reyna,

I had some work to take care of this morning, and didn't want to wake you. If you want to run yourself a bath, it's the door to your left. I'll be back by lunch. I can't wait to see you.

                                                                                                                                   - Phillip

She smiled as she read it again. Sitting up, she tossed the sheets aside and stood up. A bath did sound nice. Her bare feet padding across the hardwood floor, she made her way to the door Phillip had directed her to in his note. Twisting the knob, she opened it and stepped inside. 

The room was average size for what you'd expect of a master bathroom. A double vanity with twin sinks sat in the center of the room, with a toilet to the left and a white porcelain tub to the right.  A small, four pane window sat just above the tub, casting bright rays of morning sunlight across the tiled floor. Drawing the gauzy curtains over the window, she turned on the faucet, running it as hot as she could stand it. 

She nearly gasped as she sat down, the steaming water melting away any hint of tension or soreness in her muscles. Leaning her head back, she sunk below the surface, emerging with her hair sopping wet. Wiping away the water from her eyes, she ran her hands over her head, slicking her hair back as they slid over her scalp. Leaning back against the wall of the tub, she shut her eyes, allowing herself a few minutes to relax before washing off. 

Once she'd finished washing her hair and body, she stood up, water dripping onto the floor as she stepped out of the tub. Wringing out her hair and drying off, she wrapped a towel around her torso and stared into the mirror. 

She'd never spent much time studying her reflection during the first few weeks and months she'd been there, but she'd known her body well enough to know she'd been losing weight. Her already lanky figure had become boney and gangly. The girl in the mirror now though ... there was nothing gangly about her. Dropping the towel, she studied her reflection. It was amazing how much weight she'd gained back since she'd moved into the house. Her cheeks were no longer hollow, and her collarbones didn't jut out at sharp angles anymore. She ran her hands down the hips that had began to take shape, and smiled.

Stepping out of the bathroom, she searched the bedroom floor for her clothes. Spotting her underwear beside the bedside table, she grabbed them and slipped them on before picking her nightgown up from the foot of the bed. Sliding it over her head, she smoothed it down. 

She really needed some fresh clothes - and something to eat, her stomach rumbling as if on cue. She glanced at the clock on the wall - a quarter till eleven. She must've slept in longer than she thought. Phillip would be back within the hour. That would leave her just enough time to change and find something to eat. 

Leaving Phillip's bedroom, she walked through the study. Twisting the knob, she opened the door and stepped into the hallway. The door clicked closed behind her and she jumped as she turned on her heel, Luca standing before her. 

"Luca," She stammered. His brows were raised in a mix of surprise and confusion as to why she was coming out of Phillip's study in nothing more than her nightgown. She felt a crimson blush creep up her neck and into her cheeks as that look of confusion slowly morphed into one of understanding. Crossing her arms over her chest in an effort to cover herself, she swallowed. "Good morning," She said sheepishly. 

"Morning," He said back, averting his eyes, his gaze resting on anything but her. "I'll - uh - see you later." And with that, he was clambering down the stairs without another word. Letting out a long breath, she hurried down the hall to her room. 

Closing the door behind her, she pressed her back against the wood. She was mortified. He'd known exactly why she'd been leaving Phillip's study, and why she was still in her clothes from the night before. And he'd been ... upset? At the very least uncomfortable. It had been written all over his face. She needed to find him - needed to talk to him. 

Stripping down, she pulled on a new pair of underwear and slipped on one of her dresses. Buttoning up the front, she smoothed it down before slipping on her socks and shoes. Once she'd twisted her damp hair back into a loose braid, she stepped out into the hallway with plans to find food and find Luca. She'd almost made it to the staircase when someone rounded the corner onto the landing. 

"Whoa," Phillip's hands gripped her waist, steadying her before they ran into each other. "Just the person I was looking for," He said as his eyes settled on her, his grip on her waist tightening. She looked up at his towering frame, her heart instantly skipping a beat when her eyes met his. "Where were you headed off to in such a hurry?" He asked, smirking down at her. 

"I was - uh-," She paused, peeking over his shoulder down the stairs. Later. She would find Luca and explain everything later. "Going to find some food," She finished. 

"I was thinking we could skip lunch," He said, pulling her in closer. "And maybe go straight to desser-"

"Phillip," She cut in, batting his arm in a mock reprimand before he could finish whatever innuendo he had been about to make. An amused grin took the place of his smirk. She bit her cheek, fighting the urge to return that grin with one of her own. 

He leaned in, pressing his lips against her neck. "Well after last night, can you blame me?" He asked. Her heart skipped another beat as his breath hit her ear. Pulling away, he looked down at her. She swallowed. It was the same look that he'd had the night before. The same one that was making her weak in the knees now. 

Suddenly, a loud growl erupted from her stomach, breaking the silence - and the tension - between them. Phillip burst out laughing, and she followed suit. 

"Lunch it is then," He said, pulling her not towards the study, but towards the stairs leading to the kitchen. 

She giggled, "Lunch it is." 

--------------------------------------------------

Thanks for reading! <3