Chapter 38

Hello! Long time no see!! Here's a long awaited update you guys to ring in the new year! Let me know what you think!! :)

Reyna stood before the wall of shelves in the study, her eyes scanning over each book. She read each title aloud to herself, waiting for something to peak her interest. When one did, she pulled it from the shelf and flipped through the pages only to place it back and begin her search all over again. She hadn't been quite sure what she was looking for when she'd began this search nearly a half hour ago, and after flipping through nearly a dozen books, she was beginning to think she might never find out.

"Looking for something in particular?" Phillip's voice called from the doorway. She glanced over her shoulder at him, and then to the clock on the wall - half past five.

"You're back early," She said, sliding the book she'd been thumbing through back on the shelf as he approached her.

"I finished up evening rounds a little early," He replied. Slipping an arm around her waist, he pressed his lips to her's in a light peck. "Are you okay?"

"Why wouldn't I be?" She drew back to look at him properly, her smile faltering when she saw the worry etched on his face. "You heard..."

"I ran into Luca," He nodded.

"You didn't finish up rounds early, did you?" She raised a brow.

"I might've left a few things for tomorrow," He shrugged, leading her to the sofa. "Were you going to tell me?"

"I'm sure it would've come up eventually," She shrugged back, slipping her arms around his neck as he sat down on the sofa, pulling her onto his lap as he did. "I was going to tell you... Really," She added at the skeptical look Phillip gave her.

"Does this sort of thing happen often?" He asked, his expression more serious now.

"Nothing like that..." She shook her head.

"But other things?"

She nodded.

"You should've told me."

"Why? It's not like you can do anything about it," She said, brushing it off. Truthfully, she hadn't wanted to tell him. She wasn't exactly sure why ... maybe it was embarrassment? Maybe she didn't want him worrying?

"I can though," He pressed.

"I don't want you to," She shook her head, sliding off his lap and onto the space beside him on the sofa. "Besides... I can't really blame them." It was true. She'd been doing her best to busy herself since she and Luca had parted ways earlier, but the events of that afternoon had played on a relentless loop no matter how many book titles she read aloud to distract herself.

"You don't honestly believe that," He looked at her incredulously.

"The dirty looks - the name calling ... it's not right and it's not fair, but what they've gone through isn't either," She explained. She'd realized that after the shock of their words - and having egg splattered all over her - had worn off. She'd tried to place herself in their shoes - had tried to understand how they felt. The whole exercise had only left her feeling even more helpless than before.