Chapter 48

HAPPY FRIDAY!! Here's another chapter for you all to start off your weekend! I've had this one halfway written for quite some time now, and the time has finally come to finish it and post it! I hope you guys like it! <3

It had been two days.

Two days of fever.

Two days of Luca refusing to eat.

Two days of bandage changes and forcing him to drink water when he roused enough to actually swallow it.

He'd said they would have to wait. Wait for the fever to break. Wait for healing - for him to get better.

Hurry up and wait. But for what, she wasn't sure of anymore. He wasn't getting better. And the fever hadn't broken. The longer it lingered, the more it seemed like they were waiting for something entirely different now. Something much more sinister ... and it felt as though it was coming swifter with each passing day.

"Please eat something," She said, holding up a piece of bread to Luca's lips. His face was pale ... so pale. His eyes opened just enough to peer up at her. "Please."

"I'm not very hungry," He rasped. She sighed, sitting the bread back down on the plate on the nightstand.

"At least drink something," She said, offering him the canteen she'd filled up earlier that afternoon.

"Only if you ask nicely," He replied, a ghost of a smile turning up his cracked lips.

"Please," She said, doing her best to return the smile with one of her own. She placed the canteen to his lips and tipped it up. He took a few sips, nodding when he'd had enough. She recapped it and placed it on the nightstand next to the plate of uneaten bread. "I rebandaged your stitches while you were sleeping," She said, trying to keep him awake and talking.

"Oh? How did they look?"

"Well I'm no doctor, but I think they're coming along."

"Good," He nodded.

"How are you feeling?" It was a silly question. She knew exactly how he was feeling just by looking at him, but she asked anyway. This was the most awake and alert he'd been since the fever had started, and she wasn't about to let it go to waste.

"I've been better." A hint of his familiar smirk turned up the corner of his mouth and he chuckled, coughing and wincing as he did.

"Here," She said, bringing the canteen to his lips again, supporting his head as he drank.

"Thank you," He said, clearing his throat.

"Of course," She replied, sitting the canteen back down.

"I need to tell you something."

She looked back at him. His eyes were fixed on her, more clarity in them than she'd seen in the last two days. She nodded, waiting for him to continue.