Chapter 42

Happy Wednesday and (almost) February!! Here's a little update for you guys in honor of the longest month of the year finally being over! Let me know what you guys think! :)

"Reyna," A voice whispered into the darkness of her room.

"Reyna wake up," It whispered again. She felt a hand on her shoulder, shaking her.

She groaned, trying to roll over but the hand on her shoulder held her there.

"Reyna," The voice repeated, louder and more frantic this time. She recognized that voice. It was Luca's.

Luca?

She opened her eyes, peering into the darkness. She didn't even remember falling asleep. What time was it? She must've dozed off waiting for Luca to return. She squinted as the dim glow of lamp light flooded the room. Luca stood before her, an empty rucksack in his hand. Sliding it's twin off his shoulder, he tossed it on the foot of the bed.

"Come on," He said, grasping her upper arm and hoisting her into a sitting position.

"What's going on?" She asked, still trying to shake the grogginess of sleep away.

"Pack your things into this," He said, shoving the empty pack into her hands.

"Where are we going?" She asked, watching as he turned his attention to the dresser on the opposite side of the room.

"We're leaving," He replied robotically, pulling out various articles of her clothing from the top drawer before closing it and moving on to the next.

"What?" She blinked, unable to even register the words.

"Tonight," He added, dropping the pile of clothing he'd amassed onto the bed before crossing the room again.

"What do you mean?" She shook her head, trying to make sense of it all.

"I don't have time to explain," He shook his head, returning a moment later with her coat he'd plucked off the hook beside the door. "Put this on," He said, taking the rucksack from her hands and replacing it with the wool fabric. "It'll be cold at night."

She watched, speechless, as he went to work packing her clothes into the bag.

"Luca."

He ignored her. Opening his own rucksack, he began taking out various items he'd packed and placing them into her's.

"Luca."

A canteen ... then a loaf of bread ... then a box of matches.

"Luca," She grabbed his wrist, snapping him out of the trance he'd been in.

"What's all this about?" She stared at him incredulously.

He stared back, his chest heaving as he contemplated whether or not to take the time to explain himself.