Chapter 47

Happy Thursday!! I know it's been a while since my last update, but here's a lengthy one to make up for the long wait! I will start working on Chapter 48 tomorrow, so hopefully your next wait won't be very long! ;) Let me know what you guys think!...

Happy Thursday!! I know it's been a while since my last update, but here's a lengthy one to make up for the long wait! I will start working on Chapter 48 tomorrow, so hopefully your next wait won't be very long! ;) Let me know what you guys think! I love reading your comments! <3

Reyna rolled over, stretching her arms over her head as her eyes fluttered open. Sunshine glimmered through the cracks of the boarded up window, casting a dim fluorescent glow over the bedroom.

It was morning.

She rubbed the sleep from her eyes, and sat up. For the first time in nearly a week she felt rested. Maybe it was the fact she'd slept on an actual bed, or maybe it was the drink she'd downed the night before, but she didn't think she'd moved an inch the entire night. She couldn't even recall falling asleep. She looked around the room. Luca was nowhere in sight.

Luca.

Her cheeks heated, memories of the night before flashing through her mind. God she'd really made a mess of things. What had she been thinking? It was Luca. Luca... her friend. The one who had taken care of her - had saved her.

She stood, her stockinged feet padding against the creaky hardwood as she traveled down the hallway. Her friend. That's what he was. She'd realized that last night. He was her friend - nothing more. Slipping into the bathroom, she stole a glance at herself in the cracked mirror. The right side of her neck, just above her collarbone, was marred by a dark purple bruise. She brushed her fingertips over the mark, her chest tightening.

'Not like this.' - that's what he'd said. Her brow furrowed. What had he meant by that? She hadn't thought much of it the night prior. She hadn't been doing much thinking at all - her only focus, distracting herself from the overwhelming loneliness she felt without Phillip. Pulling the collar of her dress over the bruise as best she could, she drew in a deep breath and blew it out.

She stepped back out into the hallway. She needed to find Luca - needed to apologize. She entered the kitchen. There was a fire lit in the hearth, its embers crackling as a small plume of smoke rose up the soot covered chimney. She looked around the room. Luca was nowhere in site. Maybe he'd gone outside to gather more firewood? She turned towards the door, a small scrap of paper on the dining table catching her eye. She picked it up and read it.

"Left for Morteau. Didn't want to wake you. I lit a fire, and put what's left of the food in the cupboard. I should be back by night fall.

- Luca"

She swallowed, her stomach twisting. She wished he would've woken her up. Wished she could've talked to him before he'd left. Maybe then she'd've been able to make sense of last night - the words he'd said ... the way he'd touched her ... the way he'd looked at her.