Chapter 5

Two chapters in one day?! It feels like I'm in the twilight zone (lol)

Two chapters in one day?! It feels like I'm in the twilight zone (lol). I already had this chapter (almost) written so I figured I'd go ahead and post it so you guys wouldn't be left with such a dark cliffhanger! I hope ya'll enjoy! Let me know what you think! <3

Reyna stumbled behind Officer Brandt, struggling to keep up with the pace he'd set as they trudged through the snowy grounds of the camp. She was still reeling from her encounter with Lieutenant Muller. She'd never looked into eyes filled with such malice ... Such evil. She didn't know where she was being taken now, but anywhere would be better than where she'd just left.

He'd said the Sturmbannführer had requested to see her. Who that was though, she didn't know. She wasn't familiar with ranks in the German army, much less in the SS, but by the looks of Lieutenant Muller's reaction, she guessed whoever he was, he outranked him. Would he be just as unkind as Lieutenant Muller, or would he make what she'd just endured seem tame in comparison? 

She swallowed hard as they approached a house a few hundred feet away from the rest of the barracks. She gazed up at it, the weathered brick looking as though it had been there long before the rest of the camp had been built. Whoever this Sturmbannführer was, he must be important.

Officer Brandt led her through a side door, his hand pressed lightly on the small of her back now that they were inside. They climbed the stairs and stopped once they'd reached the end of the hallway, coming to an ornate, wooden door. Officer Brandt knocked lightly against it, opening it once he heard a voice on the other side say, "Come in."

"SS – Sturmbannführer, Phillip Schultz," Officer Brandt introduced the man sitting before them, bringing his arm up in a rigid salute to his superior. The Sturmbannführer waved a hand lazily in the boy's direction, signaling that he was free to go. Giving a stiff nod, Officer Brandt left, the door closing with a thud behind him.

"Come in Ms. Feldman," The Sturmbannführer said pleasantly, his German accent not as thick as she'd expected it to be. "Please, have a seat," He added, gesturing to the armchair stationed in front of his desk. Slowly, she approached the arm chair and sat down.

Striding casually to the corner of the room, the  Sturmbannführer raised the lid of a large wooden box, revealing a record player inside. She stole a glance at him. He was tall, and broad shouldered, his dirty blonde hair combed neatly to one side. Flipping a switch on the front of the box, the player sprang to life, the record already in place, spinning on its turntable. Lifting the needle with a finger, he laid it gently against the record's surface, the sound of soft piano music filling the room. "Do you like music?"

Looking up, her eyes locked with his pale blue ones, which were now trained on her. Averting her gaze, she gave a quick jerk of the head in response to his question.

"I'm quite the fan of Edith Piaf," The Sturmbannführer said casually, walking back behind his desk. "You know her, yes?"

She gave another stark nod.