Chapter 41

Happy Sunday gang!! Here's another small update for ya'll before I go back to work tomorrow! Let me know what you think! I hope you enjoy! <3

Reyna stared up, counting the wooden panels of the bead-board ceiling for what felt like the dozenth time.

It had been two days since her fight with Phillip. Two days since she'd left the confines of this room. She'd spent most of it wallowing in a mixture of self loathing and pity but once that had abated, there had been few other ways to spend her time. Luca had offered to bring her a book from upstairs but that hadn't felt right - not when she was outright avoiding the owner of said book.

The mattress squeaked in protest as she rolled over, facing the wall. Despite having all the time in the world to think, she hadn't managed to sort out a single answer to the tangled web of questions swirling in her brain. She knew she couldn't hide in this cramped room forever. She'd eventually have to face what was waiting for her on the other side of that door - whatever that was.

She swallowed. She'd really made a mess of things - a huge, disastrous mess. Her mind flashed to the hurt in Phillip's eyes - the way his mouth had hung slightly open as she'd hurled each wounding word at him. Had she meant any of it? Did she really believe he didn't love her? Really believe this had all been a mistake?

She shook her head. It didn't matter if she'd meant it or not. The truth of it - the real, ugly truth - was that they'd reached a precipice ... had been standing at the edge of it for quite some time. She had refused to see it, but it had always been there - this impassable chasm between reality and the fantasy they'd escaped to together. It didn't matter if she went back to him ... didn't matter if she apologized for every harsh thing she'd said ... it didn't even matter if she loved him. Nothing would change that. Nothing would bridge that gap. It would always be there. Always.

Not that she even knew if she could go back to him if she wanted to. Maybe she'd ruined things so thoroughly that Phillip didn't want her anymore. As far as she knew, he hadn't come looking for her. Maybe he'd been trying to give her space to process everything ... or maybe he just didn't care enough to seek her out. She closed her eyes, banishing that thought far, far away.

Her eyes flew open as a knock sounded at the door, her ears straining to hear anything that might tell her who was on the other side. Was it him? Her stomach twisted into knots.

"Reyna?" A voice called. "It's Liza."

She blew out a breath and sat up. "Come in." The knob twisted and the door creaked open. Liza flashed her a soft smile as she stepped into the room, the door closing behind her. Scooting herself farther onto the bed, Reyna pressed her back against the wall so that she was sitting up, facing her.

"Luca told me I might find you here," Liza said, leaning against the dresser. Her eyes scanned over Reyna, lingering a split second longer on the cut and bruises that still marred the right side of her face. "He also told me what happened."