Chapter 34

Happy Monday! Here's another chapter for you guys because I completely forgot I had this one saved in the drafts already 75% written! I hope you guys like it! <3

Reyna trudged down the stairs of the cellar, her fourth trip up and down them of the afternoon.

After they'd eaten, Phillip had brought her back upstairs. The hour he'd had for lunch had nearly turned into two before he'd finally climbed out of bed and redressed. She hadn't been far behind him, her mind drifting to Luca and the conversation she needed to have with him once Phillip had gone back to work.

She's gone downstairs and had almost immediately found Luca, who'd been carrying in supplies from the main kitchen. They'd stood there awkwardly in the entryway and after too many beats of silence had passed between them, she'd asked if he needed any help. He'd brushed her off initially, but she'd insisted until he'd finally caved in.

The silence that hung between them was deafening. She'd hoped to talk to him, but he'd all but avoided her the entire time they'd been stocking the cellar.

He knew exactly why she'd been leaving Phillip's quarters that morning. She'd seen the realization hit him. Had seen the shift in his eyes as he'd all but sprinted down the stairs. She didn't know why his reaction had bothered her, but it did. And the cold shoulder he was giving her now was only making it worse.

"Is there something wrong?" Dropping the crate she'd been carrying, she dusted her hands off on her dress and turned to face Luca.

"Nope," He replied, not bothering to look up from the bags of sugar he was placing onto shelves.

"If you have a problem, just say it," She said flatly. She was tired of this. Whatever was bothering him, he just needed to come out with it.

"It's not my place to say anything," He shrugged.

"That's never stopped you before," She countered, arching a brow.

"I just didn't take you for the type," He shrugged again, but had turned to face her now.

"I'm not sure I catch your meaning," She crossed her arms.

"Just tell me one thing," He began, giving her a look of mock intrigue, his tone laced with venom.  "Was it always the plan to take him to bed, or was that just something you came up with a long the way?"

His head snapped to the side as her hand made contact with his cheek. He blinked, raising a hand to the reddened skin and let out a low laugh, as if the rise he'd gotten out of her was funny. That smug laugh only angered her further, and she turned on her heel, not wanting to be near him for another second.

"This isn't going to end how you want it to," He called from behind her when she'd made it to the stairs.

"You have no idea what you're talking about," She shot back, whirling around to face him.

"No, I know perfectly well what I'm talking about," He shook his head. "It's you who has no idea what you're doing. I mean come on Reyna. How do you see this ending? Do you think the two of you will be together? Have a life together?" He carried on, apparently having found his voice after hours of not speaking to her. "I mean I knew you were naive but I didn't think you were stupid," He added snidely.

"I won't be spoken to like I'm a child," She spat.

"Then stop acting like one!" He said, his voice rising an octave. "Put whatever feelings you have aside for one second and think-"

"Stop-" She shook her head. She didn't want to hear whatever he had to say.

"Do you really think for one second that whatever the two of you have can exist anywhere other than his bed?" He pressed on ignoring her objection.

"Stop it!" She was raising her voice now too. She clenched her jaw, biting back the tears that burned her eyes. She wouldn't cry. Not now. "Why are you doing this?"

"I'm being honest with you," He said coldly, as if he was doing her a favor.

"No, you're being mean," She shot back, her words cold as ice. "And I can't for the life of me figure out why. I don't remember you ever caring about what we did behind those closed doors. In fact, I seem to recall you teasing me about it when we first met. So what?" She threw up her hands. "Now that there's some truth to all those jokes you made, you have a problem?"

He pressed his lips into a thin straight line, and said nothing.

"No go ahead Luca," She pressed. "Tell me. Why is it such a problem now?"

"I just don't want to see you get hurt," He replied, though the look in his eyes told her that he'd left something unsaid.

"Well that's funny," She bit back. "Because the only person hurting me right now is you." With that, she turned on her heel and climbed the stairs.

——————————————————
Let me know what you guys think!! Thanks for reading!