Chapter 6

Good morning!! Here's another chapter for you guys! I've enjoyed writing this story so much, I just can't seem to put my computer away! I figured I'd get another chapter finished before I head back to work for the week and things get busy again! L...

Good morning!! Here's another chapter for you guys! I've enjoyed writing this story so much, I just can't seem to put my computer away! I figured I'd get another chapter finished before I head back to work for the week and things get busy again! Let me know what you think!

Reyna entered the barracks, shaking out the snowflakes that had fallen in her hair on her way back from the dining hall.  It had been her first day working in the sorting sheds, and she was more than ready to fall into bed.

She hadn't left Sturmbannführer Shultz's quarters until nearly midnight the night before. They'd sat in silence for almost two hours, the turning pages of her book and the scribbling of Phillip's pen the only sounds emanating inside the room. She'd managed to finish A Farewell to Arms while she'd sat there, and had started it over when Phillip had finally looked at his watch, and realized the time.

Strangely, he'd apologized for keeping her so late and had dismissed her promptly, muttering something about how he still had work to see to or else he'd escort her himself. The whole exchange had been strange to say the least, and she'd spent the whole day playing it over in her mind, again and again. He'd been so different from Lieutenant Muller ... Kind even.

Rounding the corner into the main corridor, her eyes fell on Lieutenant Muller's towering frame. Darting back around the corner, she pressed her back against the wall. Her chest heaving as waves of anxiety swept through her. Had he come back for her?

"Leutnant Muller," She heard Liza greet him pleasantly. "What can I do for you?"

"The new girl," He said, glancing over her as if he were scanning the barrack in search of something. "I believe her name is Reyna," He added, his eyes shifting back to her.

"I'm afraid that won't be possible sir," Liza replied.

"What do you mean it won't be possible?" Lieutenant Muller snapped.

"Stubaf Shultz has requested her every night this week," Liza shrugged. Reyna blinked, trying to make sense of Liza's words. Phillip had asked for her again?

"Stubaf Shultz?" She heard Lieutenant Muller repeat, the same annoyance his voice had held the night before, evident again.

"Yes sir," Liza nodded. "I'd be happy to accompany you if you're looking for someone to keep you company tonight," She added. Reyna could practically hear the smirk on her face. Peeking around the corner, she eyed the pair of them. Liza's back was to her, standing just as tall and confident as Lieutenant Muller.

"Humph," He grunted in annoyance. "I suppose this one will have to do," He said, gripping the arm of a frail girl who'd been unlucky enough to walk by at that exact moment. She looked as though she'd been in the camp for quite a while, though she couldn't have been much older than Reyna. Her thin, blonde hair cascaded around her hollow face, her blue irises dim and empty from all she'd seen during her time as a prisoner there.