Chapter 37

Happy almost Friday!! Here's a little update for your guys to get you through the weekend! Let me know what y'all think! :)

Reyna walked across the grounds, towards the main kitchens. She'd offered to help Mrs. Aberman prepare dinner but had been shooed out of the kitchen minutes later when she'd let a pot boil over on the stove. Mrs. Aberman had tasked her with an errand instead - go get more eggs from the main kitchens.

They weren't in need of more eggs - they both knew that. So Mrs. Aberman had come up with an excuse, saying something about needing them for the bread she planned to bake - never mind the two fresh loaves that had sat untouched on the counter. She hadn't argued though - knowing it would do her little good anyway. She'd just nodded, and made her way for the door, excited for a bit of fresh air.

The days had began to grow warmer over the last few weeks, the last dregs of snow that had been surviving in the shade of buildings and eaves of roofs finally melting away into spring. The wool coat she'd grown accustomed to wearing had been hanging on the hook beside the front door for a solid week now. She'd been opting for a light cardigan instead, sometimes even leaving that behind if the sun was out in the afternoon.

Pulling open the door to the main kitchens, she stepped inside. It was buzzing with the usual hustle and bustle of a typical afternoon - the staff busy preparing for that night's dinner. She approached one of the work tables, a young woman kneading out a pile of dough against the floured table top.

"Hello," Reyna said, giving the woman an apprehensive smile. She was always a little uneasy when it came to interacting with other prisoners in the camp - never sure how her presence in any given place would be received. The woman smiled back and Reyna blew out a breath she hadn't realized she'd been holding. "Mrs. Aberman sent me to get more eggs."

"Of course," The woman said, more business like, than friendly. Reyna sighed. She supposed that would be as good as she'd get from anyone here. She watched as the woman turned and retreated into one of the store rooms.

"I don't understand why she couldn't just come get the damned chocolate herself," A voice snapped to Reyna's right.

"She said she was busy," Another voice replied.

"Humph," The first scoffed and Reyna could practically hear the eye roll that followed. "I'm sure."

Glancing over her shoulder, she eyed two girls waiting at another work table. They looked to be about her age - the shorter of the two, a brunette with dark brown eyes, maybe a year or two younger than her. She met her eyes and Reyna gave her a small smile before turning back around.

"Who is she?" She heard the brunette whisper after a few beats of silence.

"That's the Stubaf's play thing," The brunette's friend, a slim, green eyed girl with mousy blonde hair, replied. Reyna shifted uncomfortably, crossing her arms over her chest.