Chapter 43

Happy Monday!! Here's a little update to start your week off! Like I've said before, things are taking a turn, but I am so excited for us to take this journey together! ;)

They'd spent hours walking. Hours of one foot in front of the other. Hours of falling over tree roots and tripping over rocks. Hours of silence, the only sound, the crunching of leaves underneath their feet as they trudged through the darkness.

The silence. It was deafening. She'd been desperate for something - anything - to fill the void. Something to drown out the thoughts and questions swirling in her head. But breaking that silence was something she hadn't been able to bring herself to do. Because if they spoke - if they crossed that desolate void of quiet - it meant all of this was real.

She didn't know where they were going, and she couldn't find it in herself to care. She couldn't find it in herself to care about much of anything. The nervous pit of fear in her stomach had long since given way, replaced with a nothingness she couldn't explain. That's what she felt... nothing. She was numb - completely and utterly so.

She'd given up on trying to work it all out in her head. Given up on trying to make sense of what was happening. There was one thing she hadn't been able to put to rest though. One thing she was sure she'd spend the rest of her life thinking about. Phillip. Every thought ... every question ... they all led back to him.

Mrs. Aberman had said he'd been in Munich. Urgent business - that's what she'd called it. He'd been called away because of the invasion. That had to be it. He'd been told about the plan to centralize the camps, and had known the implications of that plan...  and he hadn't sent for her - hadn't even sent word to her. There had been no plan to get her out. No plan to protect her from what was to come.

She bit back the tears in her eyes, memories of the nights they'd spent together - of the words and promises he'd said to her - flashing through her mind like a film reel on loop. That couldn't be true. He loved her. He'd said it. She'd felt it. Had he thought there would be enough time to tell her everything in person? Had he had a plan to get her out, and she just hadn't trusted him enough to wait?

She chewed on the inside of her cheek. But how had Elias known? He wouldn't've been at the meeting. Had he gotten word from someone else there? How had he found out so quickly yet she'd received no word from the one person there she'd thought would make it a priority to tell her? Every question seemed to point her to the same conclusion. Phillip had known, and he hadn't cared enough to tell her. It was an agonizing conclusion - one that had shattered her heart into a million pieces. But one she feared was true.

"All those people - in the camp..." She spoke into the silence, desperate for something else to think about. "What will happen to them?" She turned her head to look at Luca, who's silhouette had began to take shape an hour ago against the backdrop of the day's first light.