Chapter 39

(***TRIGGER WARNING: This chapter depicts scenes of violence... proceed with caution***) Happy Thursday! I told you guys I'd have more updates for you this week! :) This chapter has been sitting in my drafts for a very, very long time and the time has *finally* come. I would love to know what you think! I love reading and responding to all of ya'll's comments! <3 BTW.. I will (hopefully) have another chapter posted by tonight! :)

Reyna walked across the grounds, regretting the knit cardigan she'd put on before leaving the house. The sun was out in full force today, the chill that had been in the air that morning having been evaporated by it's rays. 

She'd been apprehensive when Mrs. Aberman had asked her to run an errand to the main kitchens. She hadn't been back there in over a week. Not since - well, not since the last time, and that trip had been a debacle. Flipping her hair over her shoulder, she stopped walking, deciding to lose the cardigan before she started to sweat. 

"So you think you can steal from the kitchens?" She heard a voice sneer ... a voice she knew all too well. Slipping the cardigan back over her shoulders, she turned, her eyes falling on Lieutenant Muller, his hand harshly gripping a girl's arm. 

"No, please! She's just a child-" A woman pleaded frantically, grasping - what Reyna assumed - was her daughter's other arm. 

"Shut up," Lieutenant Muller spat in German, the back of his hand smacking across the woman's cheek as he continued to drag the girl from her mother's grasp.

Other prisoners had began to gather at the spectacle, nervous glances and murmurs buzzing from the small crowd as the woman continued to beg. Reyna recognized both of them. They worked in the kitchens. She'd seen the woman kneading out dough during a few of her trips there - her daughter always close by. 

The girl had began to cry - silent tears streaming down her cheeks as Lieutenant Muller drug her towards the middle of the courtyard. She couldn't've been any older than twelve - maybe fourteen. 

Reyna swallowed down the bile rising in her throat. She was going to be sick. She tore her eyes from the girl, her eyes scanning over the crowd. There were even more people than before - a few soldiers having stopped to see what all the fuss was about. Some of them wore amused smirks, as if what they were watching was some kind of sport, while others looked resigned - solemn even. Her eyes raked over each one of them. Someone had to do something - anything. She was a child for God's sake. A child

"I did it!" She hardly recognized her own voice as the words tumbled out. Every eye in the courtyard was now fixed on her. Still gripping the girl's arm, Lieutenant Muller turned around to see who had spoken. She swallowed, meeting his gaze. 

"Did you now?" He sneered, his eyes narrowing into a malicious glare that sent knots coursing through her stomach. Shoving the thin girl aside, he made his way to where Reyna stood, his eyes trailing down her body the same way they had the night in Phillip's study. Stopping when he had closed the gap between them, he stared down at her expectantly. "Answer the question."