01. FOR THE FIRST TIME

👑     N I K O L A I    👑

Although it appeared like his second, this was actually Nikolai's first courting season. But he had to act otherwise. His excuse for the changes of events after the last one was obvious: The war. It had been sneaking up, so the Grande Palace had sent the bachelorettes home just in time before the war had started.

And with it, customs were bend and broken and he had made sure that this courting season was going to be a success. At least, that's what the palace servants would whisper behind closed doors, so the entourages of the attending ladies would hear about it.

The truth was that he found the traditions utterly boring and unpersonal. He wanted to get to know the ladies, not their fathers and guards which was why he had them all attend the first meeting alone.

One after the other was announced before they entered the throne room to curtsy before Zoya and him. The Queen sat on her throne; Nikolai stood next to her with his arms behind his back as they both watched the young women closely. Most of them were shaking as they bowed their head to Zoya and shot Nikolai a shy smile. It might have been the nerves, but it could also be fear.

Zoya didn't only look intimidating, she was.

Her eyes glared over each bachelorette without showing any emotion as they made their way towards her, greeted both of them and then stepped to the side to wait for the next one. Officially, she would have a saying in the choosing of his wife, but she had made it clear to him that she really didn't care, as long as he chose any of the invited guests.

It was crucial that he got married. As fast as possible.

Their first guest was Princess Kheru Kir-Taban of Shu Han, fourth child of Keyen Kir-Taban, younger sister of Ehri who Nikolai had gotten to know during their switch up with Mayu Kir-Kaat. He had met Kheru a few times during the war and afterwards; he would go as far as considering her his friend. She was the only one who hadn't attended the first courting season because Ehri had taken that place.

And it was obvious to both of them that their match would not be made. They were friends, nothing more, and her country didn't need an alliance with Ravka because of Nikolai's friendship with Ehri. The Princesses hadn't been allowed to travel since the coronation of their oldest sister. She must have agreed to the courting season just to get out of the country for a short vacation. And to get away from Makhi. The Queen of Shu Han had become insufferable since she was co-reigning the country with Ehri.