03. NEW ACQUAINTANCES

👑 N I K O L A I 👑

With the first day being this long and exhausting, Nikolai wasn't sure how he was going to get through the whole courting season. Longer and more exhausting days would follow, and they weren't going to be any easier than this one.

"That's what I call a successful first day," he sighed happily and launched himself onto one of the couches in Zoya's salon that was between her office and her meeting room and acted as a place for relaxation for the governing body of Ravka. "It went pretty well, if you ask me."

"It did," Genya nodded across from him. "Any favourites yet?"

"You tell me."

The tailor gave him a scolding look. Both of them knew that it was technically not only him deciding on his future. The woman he was going to marry would not only be his wife but also the Princess of Ravka. And that concerned all of them. "Who do you like?"

"They were all obviously beautiful, charming and suited for the position. Some engaged more in conversation, others were making sure I knew of their great qualities. There were quiet listeners and loud enthusiasts. So far, I can't decide on who to like and who not to like."

"I asked which ones you liked."

"Their true colours haven't shown yet." Nikolai put his arms behind his head and looked up to the ceiling. Zoya had let somebody paint Alina's sun on it; the room appeared lighter and warmer which reminded everybody of the sunsummoner's nature. "So, I cannot say anything about them except the few observations I just told you about. What do you think?"

"The fjerdans are heartless, selfish and not much fun. They carry traditions that don't condone with ours and they hunt Grisha because they think of us as monsters. The kerch are fake, stubborn and act stupid when they find it convenient, so that they will be underestimated before stabbing you in the back. Their arrogance gets the better of them and would sell you for some Kruge if convenient. The zemini is kind, honest, loyal and confident. But she has no ambition for the title and no interest in you but attends to please her family. And the shu won't marry you but that was clear from the beginning." Genya gave him a little smile. "So, our observations are the same but you chose kinder words."

That made Nikolai laugh. "I guess we do have to wait and see how things develop."

"Indeed. Let's hope that everything goes smoothly and you'll find the woman of your dreams among those five."

"It never does. And that would be nice."

Genya gave him a sympathetic nod and got up from her couch. "I'll get going then as well, Zoya is right, we need all the sleep we can get in the upcoming weeks." Zoya had excused herself to bed with a headache, she hated these kinds of social events and it was draining to have so many new people around. Genya waved at the prince as she left the room. "Goodnight."