59. THE FUTURE OF RAVKA

👑   N I K O L A I   👑

"Are you sure you'll leave before dinner?"

"Yes. We will eat on the way."

"In the carriage? That's not a proper way to eat. You should stay for dinner and leave afterwards."

Nikolai smiled at Zoya. She would never admit it, but this was her way of delaying his and Aneela's leave. "No, Aneela and I already discussed it. We'll be off after this delightful gathering at the salon."

Zoya straightened. It was obvious that she didn't want the Lantsovs to go their way because it would mean she would have two people less who could help her deal with their current situation. "Aka when Ximen officially moves in?"

"Exactly."

Until now, they had hid the prince in one of the guest rooms. He was currently on his way to the Grande Palace to stage his official arrival to talk over the engagement with Zoya. Tolya and Tamar had taken him out of the palace in the night where nobody would see them, so they could arrive in a proper way. He would arrive any minute now to claim that he had urgent business with the queen. The guards were going t lead the uninvited guest straight into Zoya's salon – seen by a lot of servants – where they would 'discuss their future' behind close doors. The whole act was just to mask Aneela's master plan, so the ravkans didn't get in trouble with Shu Han.

In the Grande Palace, Ximen would be under constant surveillance by the court and guards and Grisha that could be trusted. Nadia ordered that he was not allowed in the Little Palace at any time, the danger of him doing something bad was just too big. And his letters would be read before sending them, his connection to Makhi was still a problem and the ravkans didn't want to take any risks in that sector as well.

There was a knock on the door and the Queen permitted the entry. Tamar and Tolya let the shu siblings enter before them, not letting Ximen out of their sight. Kheru looked like all energy had been drained from her and she couldn't wait for her brother to leave again. But to all of their bad luck, he would stay – forever, unfortunately – but it was necessary. For the country's sake.

"By the looks of it, the arrival was a success," Zoya mumbled with annoyance in her tone got up from the sofa. "And now we have to deal with his presence once more."

"I still hope that we're just wrong about him."

"I doubt that."

Genya hurried to Kheru's side and pulled her away under a pretext to ask her how everything went and if their acting had been convincing to the staff of the palace.. Tolya and Tamar lounged themselves at a couch near the door, watching the shu Prince closely as Zoya joined him and Nadia.

"Kheru just asked if she couldn't come with us for the first few days." Aneela said as she sat down next to her husband. "Under the premise of helping us with the clothes and coordinating the staff and our luggage between stops."