55. ZOYA'S MATCHMAKING

🌸 A N E E L A 🌸

The day until Aneela would leave the office for two whole weeks were counted in her calendar but it seemed light years away. She sighed as she looked away from her planner back down to the documents on her table. It was nearly time for lunch and she wanted to get through them before she would go to eat with Nikolai and whoever wanted to join them.

A knock on the door made her raise her head. "Come!"

The queen opened the door and stuck her head into Aneela's office. "Do you have a moment?"

"Of course," the princess waved her inside and put her pen down. "Please, do come in."

"He declined," Zoya announced as she sat down and threw a piece of paper onto Aneela's desk. "In a very polite and diplomatic way."

Aneela grabbed the letter with a frown. "What?"

A few days had passed since Zoya had sent a message to the shu Prince. His reply was short and vicious, saying that he isn't satisfied with just being Prince Consort, he wanted to be crowned King – which wouldn't happen, he knew that, so it was the perfect way to decline. And him demanding other things was just as ridiculous.

A monthly salary of 50.000 Kruge.

His own polo field.

Being Commander of the First and Second Army.

A free pass to get out of important social events without consequences.

No obligation to spend time with Zoya.

A new crown, made from the designs he had made.

Free roam through the Little Palace.

A life-size chess board in the palace gardens.

It was obvious how he was mocking Zoya's suggestion, not taking this seriously. Which makes the situation even worse ...

"Any other tricks up your sleeve?" The queen crossed her arms. "They would be greatly appreciated."

Aneela leaned back in her chair after reading over the shu Prince's words. "The delivered message wasn't enough maybe. Ximen likes a great entrance. And his demands are ... not serious; I bet he'll gladly be Prince Consort when you state the importance of the union. You should take the opportunity for a great gesture that will impress him – if he sees your persistence on this matter, he might reconsider his decision."

"So, you mean a great gesture in ..."

"Going to Shu Han yourself."

Zoya blew air through her nose and shook her head. "I would rather die ..."