━━━━ ACT V. | DARK CLOUDS

🐉  Z O Y A  🐉

Although Zoya didn't manipulated the weather, it reflected how she felt inside as they made their way out of Os Alta. The sun hadn't risen yet and the world seemed even darker with the black clouds hanging over the group of riders that made their way closer and closer to the Shu Han boarder. A storm is coming our way – or are we riding straight into it?

"What if Makhi came with him? That would change things, wouldn't it?"

Zoya looked over her shoulder and saw how uneasy the Princess of Ravka was. Poor thing. Rushed back from her country, got married in secret just a couple of hours ago and was now facing one of the biggest threats her new country has ever seen. "Very unlikely. She would make herself vulnerable to leave Ahmrat Jen, it would stir the pot with Ehri even further."

"Besides, she loves having Ximen as her new puppet as it seems – so why would she do the dirty work on her own when she has him?" Kheru commented. "Was only a matter of time for her to find somebody new that would do her bidding after Minister Yerwei got dragged out of her reach."

"She is still planning to commit to her war plans ..." Zoya mumbled and turned back around to lead the group down the hill. The Shu Han boarder was already in sight and what appeared like tiny dots in the far must be Ximen's camp. "After she was dethroned, we thought her reign of terror would be over ... and I would have never believed we would be in a similar situation again after a few months."

"Don't let these negative thoughts get to you, Dragon Queen." Nikolai tried to cheer her up. "We have the upper hand this time."

"And a plan that won't allow any loupe holes for him to slip through." Aneela added.

"Well, otherwise the secret wedding was all for nothing and our real one might be in danger."

"I'm going to keep the promised gifts, no matter where this secret marriage will go."

"You only married me last night in order to get Sterling, am I right?"

Aneela grinned at him as she patted the stallion's neck. "Obviously!"

"I am glad you two don't already hate each other after your spontaneous wedding but it might be indeed a short one if you don't take this seriously! We could get killed today!"

"Zoya!" Genya on a horse next to the Queen scolded her with a sharp voice. "Leave them be, they know how important this is – A bit of joking around is good to lighten the mood. The situation is already dreadful enough."

"You want us to ride in there with smiles on our faces?" Zoya snapped.

"It's better than the look of certain death on your face!" The tailor grabbed her reins closer to her. "We're all under stress here, but today's focus is on them and just as well as the future of Ravka. And if that is their coping mechanism, let them joke around."

Zoya was happy for Nikolai, she truly was. He deserved love and happiness, and she was sure Aneela would provide him with it until her very last breath. It was obvious how much she cared for him, and she wished the two of them nothing but the best.

Today was a crucial day, though, and in her opinion, it wasn't the time to joke around; even to lighten the mood because of the dangerous taste of war this meeting was bringing. But Genya was right – as always – when the couple felt better going into this situation by having a laugh before they might face their death today, they were allowed to share a last moment of contempt.

She shot Nikolai and Aneela a look, they had grown quiet. "I'm sorry. All of this is stressing me out."

Aneela nodded and shot her a comforting smile. "We understand. Don't worry, we'll get out of there alive – all of us. And we will negotiate a treaty that will not end in war."

"Of course we will!" Kheru called out in front of her. "We're not giving into the idiotic demands of my brother!"