25. HORSE RIDING

👑 N I K O L A I 👑

Nikolai's suggestion to go riding with the bachelorettes was received well and Genya made arrangements right away. On the morning of the eleventh day, the ladies were accompanied by the prince to the stable to fetch the horses. All were wearing their finest riding clothes and the excitement among the group was great, just like when they were heading into Os Alta.

"Did you pick an easy route?" Aneela wanted to know as they made their way closer to the line of horses that had been prepared for them.

Nikolai nodded. "Yes, nothing too challenging, so everybody can keep up. The landscape will be still beautiful, you're going to love it."

Her eyes lit up when she saw Sterling among the settled horses. She started to walk a bit faster in order to be paired with him for the ride, but Vilde cut her from the side, stepping in front of her as Aneela was about to talk to the stableboy who was holding the stallion's reins.

"Help me get up on her!" The fjerdan demanded.

The young man frowned confused. "Pardon?"

"The horse. Help me up onto her back."

"Oh, that is a stallion. His name is Sterling."

"I don't care what his name is," she hissed with a lowered voice, noticing Nikolai getting closer. "Help me up!"

"I'm sorry, the horse is reserved for Miss Ceron."

Aneela, who had moved on to the next horse, which was a pretty mare named Lire looked over to him in surprise.

"Well, she already has her horse!"

"Since Miss Ceron is such a good rider, I am sure she will handle our strong-minded Sterling with ease." Nikolai interfered as he approached the scene. "For you, I chose a gentler nature, Miss Mohn. You would do well with our soft-minded Kronar over there." He pointed over to a gelding of older age who seemed to not care about the excitement around him. "He is a sweetheart and doesn't rush in an open meadow."

There was nothing as a defence that came to Vilde's mind, so she spared herself any further embarrassment and moved down the line to Kronar – obviously angry about it. Aneela quickly moved over to her favourite horse and greeted him happily.

"Why didn't you let Vilde take him?" She asked quietly as Nikolai stepped next to her, grabbing Sterling's rains and watching her move her fingers over the girth in routine.

"Because you're the better rider, that's why." He shrugged as he stroked Sterling's neck with his other hand. "The fjerdan women only know how to ride, which doesn't mean they do it very often – well, or are allowed to. It was better for her to get a calmer horse. Our pretty boy here can get a heated temper in the open and needs a firm hand of an experienced rider if push comes to shove - And none of this has anything to do with him being your favourite horse in our stables."