23. FLOWERS

👑 N I K O L A I 👑

"Beautiful morning, isn't it?" Nikolai beamed as he leaned onto the white fence next to Tolya.

"It's been a quiet one," Tolya reported. "The Grande Palace is still asleep, just like the Little Palace and Miss Ceron is in an exceptionally good mood today."

Nikolai raised his eyebrows. "Is she?"

"Might this have something to do with you meeting her in the gardens later?" Tolya grinned. "She asked if I could stay away for it."

"I have no idea what you are talking about." Nikolai replied but couldn't keep the smile off his lips as he looked over to Aneela who had noticed him and demanded Sterling to go slower.

She let the stallion take more of the reins as he lowered his head, making big steps across the ground, finishing off his training session.

Tolya gave her a sign and she nodded in understanding. "I'll stay at the entrance and accompany her back to her chambers when you are finished with your conversation."

Nikolai patted Tolya on the shoulder. "Thank you for your service, my friend. Kheru is a very lucky woman."

"Stop that." He shot him an angry look. "I'll see you later."

The prince didn't even hear him walk away, he was already focused on the rider and its horse who were approaching him.

"You should have joined us." Aneela made Sterlington stop in front of Nikolai. "We would have loved some company."

He grabbed the stallion's reins. "I wished I could have but unfortunately, I had some papers to attend to."

"Next time, then." She suggested with a smile and patted the horse's neck.

"Maybe we should all go riding together." He thought out loud. "It would be a good excuse to explore the grounds, it's wonderful to go for a ride there – I imagine you must be tired of the training course here."

"I was glad to be allowed to go riding and I enjoy the dressage exercise." Aneela took the reins into her left hand, rested it on the pommel of the saddle. Nikolai was about to ask if he should help her down, but Aneela was already on the move and a second later, she stood next to him on the ground. She patted the stallion's neck. "Good job, buddy."

"I could put Sterling on the gift pile if you get married to me."

She raised her eyebrows. "Are you trying to bribe me now?"

He grinned. "If it's working, then yes."

Aneela laughed. "I mean, that would be certainly a plus."

They put Sterling back into the hand of the stable boy and approached the other side of the palace gardens where they wouldn't be seen from the drawing room and could talk in private.