30. THE QUEEN'S APPROVAL

🌸 A N E E L A 🌸

The unexpected invitation to have lunch with the Queen on the next day was a surprise to both Aneela and Kheru. They were in Aneela's new room when a guard brought the note and expected an immediate answer. Aneela obviously agreed immediately, not knowing what else to do or what to make of this demand. The guard didn't say anything back when she asked why exactly the Queen wanted to see her, the woman only bowed her head, reporting that she would tell the Queen right away that Aneela would attend the lunch.

"Have I done something wrong?" Aneela asked frightful as the door was closed and the two friends were alone again.

"No, it's a good sign!" Kheru reassured her with a big smile on her face. "I'm sure she just wants to have a chat about the duty that would come with your new position and stuff. Although you are marrying Nikolai, you need her approval, she is the Queen."

"You think really think so? Did I upset her in any way?" Her face dropped as a unsettling thought crossed her mind. "Or Nikolai? Do you think I have offended him without realizing it last night? We had such a great time, it was really romantic and-"

"Aneela, no." The shu grabbed her hands and squeezed them tightly. "All you have done is being the amazing person that you are and that is why Nikolai adores you so much. Why everybody does."

Aneela tilted her head, doubtful. "Well, not everybody ..."

"Don't even bare a thought for them." Kheru let out a long breath. "They are not worth it."

Aneela nodded in agreement, trying to convince herself of Kheru's words. "You're right. Thank you. But ... what could she possibly want?"

Aneela hoped that Kheru was right, and the invitation meant something good. But she couldn't help it but overthink the whole situation and debate whether the really bad scenarios in her mind were realistic or not.

After wishing Kheru goodbye – and the princess wishing her all the luck she would surely need – the zemini made her way to the west wing where the heads of Ravka had their rooms. Aneela passed Genya Safin's chambers before she stood at a long corridor, that led into two directions. The right one would lead towards Nikolai's chambers, the left one towards the Queen's.

She had to turn around two corners when the guard, who had delivered her the massage, stopped her and asked her to wait in front of a specific door while she herself knocked and entered the room. Quickly, Aneela straightened her light green dress when she heard steps approaching the door again and stood up right, pushing her shoulders back.

"You can go in now." The guard announced and stepped to the side.

"Thank you."

Aneela entered and found herself in a little meeting room. It had a round table with six chairs, expensive paintings were on the walls, with a huge chandelier as an eye-catcher on the ceiling. The Queen raised from her chair and smiled at her visitor as Aneela curtsied deeply in front of her.