31. DESPERATE ACTIONS

👑 N I K O L A I 👑

The conversations with Aneela about his ship plans had sparked Nikolai's creativity again. Over the course of the last few days, he had spent a little time improving on them until he was happy to get it to the durasts who would build a new prototype for him. The prince broke his usual morning routine and dressed casually on the twelfth day before he went over to the Little Palace to place the plans into the workshop himself.

He was unusually nervous when him and Tamar returned to the Grande Palace around lunch time. His mind kept wandering off here and there, trying not to think too much about how Zoya's lunch with Aneela was going. Although he knew that Zoya was only supporting him, he was worried about the outcome. Aneela could take it as being too pushy and think the ravkan crown wants to rush the engagement and quickly get the marriage over with.

Shaking his head, he tried to ban these thoughts into the back of his head and went over the rest of his day. He had to change something wearable for today's activity later on, eat something, speak with Adrik about the recruitment of fjerdan Grisha, write letters to his contacts at the Shu Han Boarder and then make his way down to the lake where the courting event could take place.

He reached the top of the stairs and walked down the corridor. His eyes caught something on the table of the corridor. Curious, he stepped closer and saw that it was a miniature ship that looked like it had once been one of his creations but got modified.

"How sweet." He picked it up and showed it to Tamar. "I must have dropped it and one of the durasts found it."

She leaned closer, inspecting it with an acknowledging nod. "Never thought one of your wired ships would make such a masterpiece. It's really pretty."

With a smile on his face, he put it in the pocket of his jacket and continued his way to his chambers. I must ask around who of the Grisha did this, it's truly marvellous.

"I'll be right up," he said as he reached for the handle to his door. "I'm just going to change before we head to the meeting room. Can you ask them to serve lunch there? I'm sure Adrik would eat some as well."

Tamar nodded and walked back down the corridor when he entered his room. Nikolai closed the door and took his jacket off, shaking off a nervous breath. Zoya hadn't sent for him, so she must still be talking to Aneela. Which had to be a good sign that their breakfast was talking longer than expected ... right?

He threw the jacket over his chair and started unbuttoning his shirt while strolling closer to the balcony door that was next to his bed. It was a promising day, the gardens looked beautiful in the warm light of the sun. He laid his shirt down next to his jacket and wondered if Aneela would enjoy a walk after the lunch-