52. HEARTBREAKING GOODBYES

👑 N I K O L A I 👑

"So, this is it, then ..." Kheru's voice was already wobbly when she entered the salon in the morning of the next day. Her things were currently being back into the shu carriage while she was saying her goodbyes.

Everybody had come in quietly before her, not one of them wanting to speak. It was unusual for the residents of the Grande Palace to not fall into chatter about anything, but it felt odd not to remain in silence.

Not even Nikolai could think of a way to lighten the mood. He sat next to his wife, their hands intervened and starred at the expensive wallpaper across from them. When Aneela had come back from her talk to Kheru last night, she had closed his office door and it had only taken a compassioned look from him to let her wail up again.

The situation was slowly setting in when he had held her as she had clutched to him and cried into his shoulder. It made him shed a few tears as well, not wanting to believe that Kheru would actually leave, now when everything was safe and sound. If not even Aneela can persuade her to stay, then nobody could. And Tolya ...

The heartrender was already a quiet person, but he seemed empty when him and Tamar had come into the room. As if there was nothing there anymore and he just existed without knowing why. It hurt to see him like this. He wasn't even looking up when Kheru entered the room, unable to meet her eyes.

The shu princess tried a smile towards the group to distract herself from the up closing throat. "I'm going to miss you all a lot."

"Not as much as we will miss you," Nikolai gently let go off Aneela's hand and stepped in front of Kheru to hug her. "The Grande Palace won't be the same without you. Your absents will be noted as soon as you step out of this room."

"I hope so." The Princess of Shu Han chuckled sadly as she put his arms around him.

"Thank you for everything," Nikolai whispered. "You're such a good friend and you helped me and Aneela immensely. We will never forget what you did for us. And we will see each other again. Very soon, I promise you that."

"Thank you, too." Her voice was all caught up with emotion as she let go off the prince. "Make sure your wife has enough books to read, plants for her garden and join her on lots of rides with the horses."

One after the other stepped to her, exchanged a few words and gave her a hug.

Nikolai noticed Tolya slumping into his seat, fiddling with his hands. Unnoticed, Nikolai slipped next to him and put his hand on his shoulder. "This won't be the end."

"It already is." The sadness in his tone was heartbreaking.

"We'll do something about it." Nikolai whispered. "I promise you."