10. THE PRINCESS'S PLEAD

🌸  A N E E L A  🌸

🌸  A N E E L A  🌸

It was odd how on the fifth day, Aneela had a different mindset when she got up to go riding with Sterling. The conversations with the prince had helped her to settle herself into the situation of the courting season and when she got up, she was excited about what the day would bring.

She was more open to give him a chance. To give them a thought. Their interactions had been nothing but positive, although she had to be careful not to fully put herself into the danger of attaching herself and her heart too much to him.

Aneela had thought about asking the prince if he had already favourites, but it would have been too invasive. Since he had laughed at her describing the fjerdan and kerch girls and him saying she won't succeed winning him over by acting like them, it meant that there was only Kheru who could be a candidate. When she had brought her up yesterday, he had changed the topic.

If he has any sympathy towards her – unlike with the rest of the attendees –, I might not even have a chance with him.

Pushing those negative thoughts away, she congratulated herself when she entered her chambers after once again having successfully returned inside without being seen by anyone, but she froze once she stepped into her bedroom. Usually, Yaniya was sitting there, waiting for her little sister to come back from her morning ride and help her get ready but today, the older Ceron wasn't alone.

Aneela blinked a few times at the guest on the couch. "Good morning."

"Good morning to you, too!" Kheru smiled brightly at her as Aneela closed the door behind herself. "Your sister was kind enough to keep me company while I was waiting for you. I was hoping to get your opinion on a matter."

The two zemini woman exchanged a glance and without words, Yaniya told her little sister nonverbally that she had no idea why the shu was here. Aneela looked down on her and regretted her decision of not telling the princess where she had been two mornings ago. It was clear where I just came from ... if she doesn't see it by my riding clothes, she will smell the horses within a few seconds.

"Yaniya, could you ..."

"Sure." Her sister hurried and got up to curtsied before Kheru. "I wish you a good day, Your Highness."

"Thank you, Yaniya, and – like I said: Just Kheru. I hope you have a great day, as well."

Another exchanged look, Yaniya was wishing Aneela good luck as she walked out of the room. I could use that, I think ...

"Have you been riding?"

There was no way of masking it and lying isn't my strong suit. "I have."

"Ah, is this why you were late the other day?"

Aneela nodded slowly. "Yes, but I did not want to expose myself, I haven't told anybody and I was afraid if somebody knew, they would forbid me to do it."