26. FJERDANS & KERCHS

🌸 A N E E L A 🌸

The sun was making its way up to its peak on the horizon while the nature around the riders was in full bloom. They trotted over a meadow filled with wildflowers, where busy bees worked, and beautiful butterflies flew around. Aneela sucked the fresh air into her lungs as they made their way over the meadow, closer towards the nearby forest.

Nikolai was in the front of their riding group, currently talking to Josefine. Tamar was right behind them, observing the scene while keeping an eye on Brigitta who was riding just a few meters away from her. But the kerch didn't pay any attention to what was going on in front of her, she overlooked the ravkan surroundings with a bored look.

The two fjerdans were right behind her, chatting to each other quietly but intensely. Either badmouthing her or me. Or planning to do something because of yesterday. The shared moment under the pavilion had been seen by all of the attendees and Aneela was cautious around them now more than ever.

She rode with Kheru and Tolya in the back, further away from them, so neither one of the two groups would hear them talking. "Do you get out of the royal estates often, Tolya?"

"I do. Me and my sister accompany the prince on business trips."

"Do they occur often?" Aneela wondered.

"Yes. Many out of country, in fact and I believe he will add more – especially to the west." The bodyguard to her right smiled knowingly at her.

Aneela smiled as well. "That is good to know."

"Have you already decided on a honeymoon destination?" Kheru asked.

"He hasn't even proposed yet, Kheru." Aneela laughed, shaking her head at her friend's impatience. "A honeymoon isn't even on my mind, yet."

"Well, he should make haste – why wait?"

"You know why."

"Yes, yes, I know." The shu exhaled loudly. "But what if we let this show play out even longer and the others decide to take actions that are rather dangerous ... which they showed today."

"Maybe it was just an accident." Aneela tried, knowing how unbelievable her assumption was. But she had to give the situation the benefit of the doubt, maybe none of the other bachelorettes had anything to do with it. Would be nice for once to learn it was an accident and not mal intent.

"Yes, but I have a weird feeling about this, my dearest friend. And I don't want any of the others snap and try to hurt you even further."

"Her Highness might be right, Miss Ceron, this could possibly get very complicated."

"It's Aneela, Tolya." She reminded him. Since Nikolai had assigned him to guard her, she had asked him to call her by her given name, but he kept on calling her by her family's name out of respect and obedience. "And I am aware of it but the crown has no choice but to continue with the courting season as it was planned."