13. HELP FOR A FRIEND

👑 N I K O L A I 👑

The palace gardens were the most beautiful place to have a picknick. They sat on the big meadow that acted as their cricket field and was right between the lake and the extravagant bushes and flower beds that the gardeners tended to every day. The food was delicious as always, the cook had selected something not too heavy for this early dinner, so the party could roam around in the nature afterwards without being too full.

After they had eaten, some Grisha performed a water play at the lake, entertaining Nikolai's guests with their abilities. It was truly impressive how easy it appeared to them and the joy among the women was big watching it.

"This is just amazing!" Josefine next to him cheered and clapped her hands when they finished their show. "I wish I could do that as well!"

"I do, too. Grisha powers are impressive."

"Can they be learned?"

"Unfortunately not," he smiled and got up. "If so, I would have already mastered them brilliantly and would be the most powerful Grisha ever known."

The young woman frowned at him. "How would you know that you would be able to do it?"

Nikolai blinked a few times at her serious face but kept his smile on. "Because I can do anything. And with beauty and grace, might I add."

"No one can do everything." Josefine tilted her head. "My father says it's a waste of time to try everything, one should focus on their talents and expand them."

As the frown deepened, Nikolai realized she didn't understand that he had been joking. One might blame it on her youth, other on her simple mind. „Well, yes, that is ... right." Either way, not a match for me - what would I do with somebody who doesn't get my humour? "Unfortunately, I should take my leave, or the other ladies might complain."

"Oh, yes." Josefine nodded. "I should join Brigitta, then. Will we talk later?"

"Certainly." Nikolai replied and offered her a hand to help her get up although he knew that he wouldn't try to have another chat with her today. We are just not going to work out.

The kerch looked up to him, blushed and took his hand with a quiet "Thank you".

He nodded a goodbye to her when she stood on her feet. She wasn't able to look him in the eye, so she curtsied before him. Please don't develop any kind of feelings for me or the fall will be hard. And I should make sure I don't lead you on.

Kheru was the first one he saw when he turned around and he quickly made his way over to her. She just had left Aneela who was now standing alone at a flower bed, studying it closely. A pleased smile showed on her face as she soaked in the scent of the roses which made Nikolai smiled as well. I love how she finds joy in the simplest things in life.