Chapter 16

October 27th-
So much is going on today. I got news that someone tried to touch Kekoa without his consent, and OH MY GOD the ways I want to punish that person are indescribable! Shove a carrot down their throat, let my little and big brothers and sisters tackle them until they surrender– There are so many thoughts rushing through my mind, but it's not important now. I'm a witness to Allison and her developing crush on Jamil!! Don't worry, we'll discuss this with the others when we're all back at Night Raven.

~~~

A jester skipped onto the stage, being greeted by cheering from the crowd. "Hello, everyone! All eyes and ears on me, please! Come one, come all. Forget about all your work and worries for today, and let's enjoy the festival. Welcome to the Topsy-Turvy Festival!" he announced.

Grim arched an eyebrow in confusion. "Topsy-Turvy Festival...? That sounds weird. Will everyone be upside-down or something?" he asked.

"... No, he's just talking about the participants in general. It's the one day people get to live their lives without titles or status. The weak can become strong, anyone can pretend to be king, and so forth," Rollo explained, narrowing his eyes.

Malleus's eyebrows lifted in amusement. "Ah, so ranks are put aside for today?" he asked.

"Yes, that's right. That's why everyone wears masks for the festival," Rollo replied.

"I see. I think I understand the appeal now. You get to live as freely as you want today," Azul added, a generous smile on his lips.

"Ah... I saw lots of stalls selling masks, too. There's a kind of romance to hiding your identity behind a mask, huh~" Idia asked, glancing at a blushing Allison.

The thought of a mask concealing someone's face being a romantic thing made her heart feel fuzzy. Was he trying to imply something to the others that he caught on about? Her crush on someone? The thought was then shaken off. "Whoa~! Everyone looks like they're having lotsa fun, yanno!" Grim said.

Rollo said nothing as the jester continued speaking. "It's our long-awaited Topsy-Turvy Festival! But let's not forget that it's the "Gentle Bell Ringer" who loved this festival the most!"

The students of Night Raven College seemed confused; all except Riddle and Malleus, of course. "The Gentle Bell Ringer?" Grim pondered.

"Oh, did you not know?" Malleus questioned, looking at the cat creature.

Grim shook his head. "You didn't even bother researching Fleur City, Grim?" Azul asked.

He went on, saying that he was only interested in the food. Annie had read articles about certain things, but nothing like what she'd seen. "I'll praise your straightforwardness," Idia commented.

All of a sudden, the jester cupped a hand around his ear. "Oh my. Is that a curious child I hear?" he asked.

"Yup, that's me!"

The man had secretly put a puppet on one of his arms, and it seemed to be moving and talking on its own! Allison jolted, her ears perking up in shock. Annie giggled at her reaction, explaining that it's called ventriloquism. "Really?" the jester inquired.

"Yup! Tell me, tell me the story!" the puppet chimed.

Ruggie's eyes widened as Epel seemed so surprised, he almost fell out of his seat. "Th-that guy's talking to a doll... Is he alright!?" Grim exclaimed, hiding behind Trein.

The man sighed. For one, he wasn't on shrooms. "What are you so worried about? That's a puppet, and that man is a ventriloquist," Rollo stated.

"Ven-tree-loh-what now?" Grim asked, confused.