Chapter 28

November 2nd-
I love how they think they can get away with little things like this. But I'm glad today's a Thursday. However... Considering something on my papa's side of the family, he and I used to cook a lot in the kitchen when he wasn't being hired to perform onstage with my mamma. And if I drop by Scarabia tonight, then... I can cook! But I'll have to run into... him... OH GOSH– But I think that's what I'll do. Drop by and cook a dish for the night. It sounds pretty fun! Minus the whole "running into I THINK WE ALL KNOW WHO BY NOW."

~~~

Meanwhile, back at Pomefiore, Epel walked into his best friend's room to see Allison changing into a purple sweater, short skirt, black fishnet tights, and short buckled boots. The sweater had the Pomefiore sign on the right breast, and her boots were black and gold. "You look amazing! But– uh... why are you all dressed up, Allie?" Epel asked.

"Because I'm going to visit Scarabia and have dinner with them," Allison responded.

Epel nodded and helped politely escort her out of the dorm as Vil asked the same question, leading to the same response. "Alright. Be safe, Al. And don't burn yourself," Vil responded, going to give her two friendly kisses on the cheeks.

She giggled and nodded, her tail wagging behind her. Epel and Vil watched her leave through the portal, a smile on both of their faces. "Epel, why are you not wearing your face mask?" Vil suddenly asked.

"Wait– I was supposed to wear one??" he exclaimed.

"Yes, you freaking dimwit."

He took off, being chased through the dorm hallways as Epel yelled out in his Southern accent. No one had told him to wear a facial mask at 5 p.m. With Allison, she exhaled and turned to enter Scarabia, already being hit with the desert heat. Her ears slouched as she shuffled to the front doors that were already opening. A student was standing there. "What the... Hey! Someone is coming!!" he called.

"Who is it??" another student asked.

The student took a closer look at Allison, grimacing. "It's the girl... from Pomefiore," he responded.

The second one also seemed annoyed. Almost immediately, a boy with tan skin and white hair ran to the doors. "Come in!! Let's get you some water!! You must be thirsty!"

He ran out into the heat and helped Allison inside, and when they got back inside, it felt 10 times better than outside. The interior was also gorgeous. "I'm Kalim, the housewarden of Scarabia. You must be Allison, right? Are you here for dinner?" he asked, giving her a glass of water.

"I-I– ... Yes," Allison stammered, accepting it.

She took a sip, already feeling better. Kalim grinned and guided her to the kitchen, where someone was cooking. By the hair in a ponytail, it was Jamil. The fox's cheeks felt warm as she entered, going to a counter with exotic ingredients and spices. And boy, did they smell amazing. Laying beside the spices was a cookbook with a few noticeable bookmarks. So Allison took it and opened it to a page, rolling her sweater sleeves up. "What's on your mind, you curious fox?"

She turned to see Jamil, back turned away from her, rummaging through the cabinets. How did he know she was here? The clicking sound of her boots could've been anyone. "Uh- I want to try making... hmm... Chili."

That caught his attention. Jamil turned and walked to Allison, flipping to a page that featured a chili recipe. "We have cornbread mix in the cupboard over there if that's what you're also gonna be using," he replied.

"Alright. But... uh... Can you help me?" Allison asked, looking at her feet.

Jamil smiled softly, agreeing to assist as he tossed her an apron. Sure, the cornbread would take 30 minutes to prepare, but what could they do? Nothing. Allison grabbed the cornbread mix and a 9x13-inch pan. She then took 1 cup of sour cream, ⅔ cup of milk, 2 large eggs, ½ cup of melted butter, and 1 tablespoon of sugar. "Is that all for the cornbread?" Jamil asked.