Chapter 23

October 28th-
Everyone was still asleep. Guess who wasn't fast asleep? Me. I intend for Octavinelle to have an amazing presentation for Halloween this year. Pomefiore won last year, and I'm not gonna let it happen again. When Kekoa and I were younger, our dorm was never that good at Halloween presentations. Our housewarden back then sucked ass. But this time, we're gonna be sticking out like a sore thumb. But in a good way. Not in a bad depiction.

~~~

At Night Raven, Kaimana paced around his bedroom, glancing at a picture on his wall. It was of him, Kekoa, their mother Kalei, and their little sister Noelani. "Makuahine... If only you were here to help me... I require your assistance... I don't know what to do," Kaimana mumbled, falling to his knees.

A tear slipped down his cheek as his breath quickened. It was 2 in the morning, and nothing came from his messages regarding Annie or Allison's safety. Nothing from Azul, either. Usually, word about him was sent to either Jade or Floyd, and they reported it to the Makani twins. But there was no message from him. Kaimana felt defeated knowing this. He stood, going to his bed where he removed his sleeping shirt, looking at each of the golden shards embedded in his skin. "My son... You needn't worry..."

Kaimana's eyes widened with tears still in them at the voice. "Mom... Is that you?" he whispered.

No one responded, but the voice in his head soothed him through a Hawaiian lullaby. One that he and Kakoa loved to hear when they were children and when Noelani was beginning to walk. Kaimana exhaled, closing his eyes as he wept. "There there, my son. You don't need to worry about a thing. Your cousin's going to be just fine. Believe me."

"I wish I could, Mom... But..."

"Shh..."

The pain in his heart grew. He missed hearing the soothing voice from Kalei, telling him that he would still be her baby boy. That his twin brother would recover from the volcanic onslaught. She would tell him that Noelani's eyes were normal, for the Makani family was rich in magical history. It dates back to when their grandmother, Lani, was just a child. Their great-great-grandparents had gone to Night Raven College and Drissarths to become high-class wizards and mages, only to give birth to the members of the family still alive today; Kalei, Kekoa, Noelani, and Kaimana himself.

"Everything will be fine, dear... Trust in your family to bring them to safety..."

And then the voice was gone. Kaimana shot up from his bed, teary-eyed and quivering. "M-Mom??"

Nothing. He stood, holding his head. "MOM???"

Still, nothing. Kaimana leaned against a wall, shouting curses in Hawaiian as he sobbed, wishing Kalei was still there to comfort him at this moment. Kekoa, because he heard all the noise, came rushing into the bedroom to see his brother sobbing. "Hey, Kaimana! What the hell happened? Why were you yelling for Mom?" he asked, touching his twin on the shoulder.

Kaimana looked at Kekoa with puffy red eyes, his nose stuffy from crying. "I heard her... She's gonna bring everyone at the City of Flowers to safety..."

His brother smiled sympathetically and hugged Kaimana, feeling a shard of what he was feeling. Kalei cared for her sons and daughter. But when it came to other's safety, she expanded her love and care. Kalei was some kind of a goddess to the twins. That was the power of their mother.

...

It was faster than lightning. Allison and Annie had both heard about Malleus, Idia, and Azul confronting Rollo amidst the flaming flowers in the bell tower. "I can't do this anymore! I want to see how everyone else is!" she cried.