Chapter 45

June 16th–
Hey y'all! Annie here! Ooh– Guess who got word about someone else on their way?? ME. I did!! By today, the 16th, more students have arrived, including a majority of the housewardens. Azul told me about three other people on their way, and I could only assume it was... you know, I'll let you guys decide. Anyway, Kalei's been showing us pictures of luaus in the past so we can get a mental image of what we're gonna be expecting. And to be honest, it looks interesting. And who told me that Noelani, Kalei's only daughter, could hula dance??? That's just so freaking awesome!!! I can't wait to see her dance one day! Or- wait. Is Kalei planning for her to perform in 4 days?!

~~~

"Look here."

The sun was high in the sky that morning. No clouds were covering the sky or sun, thank goodness. Around the table, Annie, Riddle, Skylar, Trey, and Snowflake sat with Kalei as she held a folder that seemed to be filled with different images. Kalei then took a picture out of her folder of photos, showing people dancing under the night sky as torches were set ablaze. All of a sudden, the picture came to life. They watched the people move as drums were beat in the background. Though they weren't that visible, Trey noticed it and pointed it out to the group. "How... interesting," Riddle mused.

"Yep! Miss Kalei, is this part of the tradition?" Annie asked.

"Indeed it is, Annie. Hula animates history, genealogy, prophecy, and the tales of those who came before. For dancers who connect more deeply through their hula traditions, dance is just one part of the practice, which often involves stewardship of the environment," Kalei explained.

"Anything else we need to know about?" Skylar questioned.

"Originally, the hula was a religious dance performed by trained dancers before the king or ordinary people to promote fecundity, to honor the gods, or to praise the chiefs. Hula is also a way to connect with the spirit of aloha, or love. When hula is performed, it is a way to show respect for the gods and goddesses of the Burnoa Isles," Kalei added.

She told them that Noelani was a hula dancer and she's been doing it ever since she was seven. Annie's eyes lit up as she asked Kalei if Noelani would perform at the graduation luau. She simply nodded. The group listened intently (followed by Annie's excited foot-thumping) as Kalei put the picture away. Taking out another one, it was a picture of a man holding some kind of thin piece of wood with more wood on the end. It was set ablaze as he spun it. "What's that?" Annie asked.

"This is fire knife dancing. During ceremonial proceedings, Samoan warriors would twist, spin, and toss their war clubs to display skill and strength. The club later evolved into a machete wrapped in cloth on both ends— the tool commonly used during modern fire knife dances. Kekoa has been training for this ever since he was a little boy. And he gets to perform it, hopefully, after 10 years of hard work," the woman explained.

"Really??" Trey exclaimed.

"He can do that?" Riddle asked.

Kalei simply nodded, putting the picture away. She told them that the rest of the luau would be a surprise as she walked out of the room, going to tend to her bedridden mother. The group stayed seated at the table as Skylar walked to the fridge and took out a bunch of carrots. Annie was quick to snatch them, transforming into a fluffy rabbit as she munched on them. Snowflake snickered and crossed her leg over the other. "So, what're we gonna do now? ... I'm feeling the urge to do something stupid," she said.

"Ace and Deuce are outside by the shore. Go annoy them," Riddle said, kindly shooing her away.

Snowflake then got up and ran outside, seeing the two first-year students, who arrived yesterday, chasing Grim along the beach. She could only sneer before running to join them. As for the others, they went to the airport, having heard other people were arriving; mainly Malleus, Lilia, Silver, and Sebek. When the four of them arrived, Malleus knocked on the door. Kalei walked to answer it and was shocked to see the quartet of Briar Valley people. Sebek bowed deeply, almost on his knees, upon seeing Kalei. "IT IS AN HONOR TO MEET YOU, MISS KALEI MAKANI!!" he exclaimed.