Chapter 1

I woke up to the sound of the school bell. It was loud and startled me to where I almost fell out of my chair.
"Ok that's it for today class", Mrs. Gilman said.
Everyone gathered up their stuff and left the room.
"You missed a lot sleepy head", my best friend Isabelle said tugging my arm.
"I know", I replied yawning.
For the past few nights, I haven't been able to get any sleep which has caused me to sleep all throughout my classes.
As we left the room, I got a phone call.
"Who's that?", Isabelle asked.
It was my longtime friend, Luke, but of course I didn't want her knowing since they weren't on good terms.
"Oh, it's nobody."
"Ok, well what are we doing later today?"
"I don't know, maybe we could go see a movie", I replied.
"That's a good idea, but it would have to be the one downtown, because the one near your house is shut down."
"Umm, yeah I forgot about that."
She stopped and looked at me.
"Are you okay?"
"Yeah, I'm fine."
"Are you sure, because you seem to be a little off", she said.
I rolled my eyes.
"I'm sure, I'm just having trouble sleeping."
"Zara, I'm not going to force you to tell me what's going on, but just know that I'll be here if you ever want to talk about it", she replied.
I gave her a hug.
"Thanks Isabelle."
"No problem."
We walked out the exit to where my dad was parked. I could spot his 1990 Ford Ranger from a mile away.
"Hey dad!", I yelled.
He blew the horn.
"Hey kiddo!"
Isabelle grabbed my arm and whispered to me.
"Does your dad know that you're getting your own car soon?"
"No, I haven't told him yet", I whispered back.
"Well, you might want to soon."
"Why, what's the rush?", I asked.
"There's a group study event going on later this week, and you cannot come in that."
I sighed.
"Girl, it's cool."
"Okay", she replied shrugging her shoulders.
I watched her as she got in her car and drove away. She was so blunt, yet her honesty is why I'm not in certain situations. I never thought that I would have her as a best friend considering she was a Christian. But you can't really judge a book by it's cover.
I got into my dad's truck and he drove off.
"So, how was school today?"
"It was okay", I replied.
"How were your classes?"
"They were fine", I replied looking out the window.
My dad turned the radio up.
"These were my jams back in the day", he said.
I smiled and listened to the music. It actually wasn't that bad. But, there were these specific lyrics that really caught my attention:

"To be with you is only temporary,
but I will make my days loving you count
No matter how high the mountain,
or low the valley. You have touched me,
my dear angel."

Upon hearing this, I thought about Luke. Even though we were just friends, I couldn't help but think about how life would be if we were more than friends. Would it be good. Or would it be bad?
As I was thinking, my dad interrupted my thoughts.
"Zara, I actually wanted to talk to you about something while we're here."
"Yes?"
"So, you know how I just started my job at the Finance Company?"
"Yeah, what about it?", I asked.
"Well, it's actually a good bit away from where we stay and I was wondering what it would be like if I were closer to that job.
My eyes grew big.
"So, what are you saying?"
"I'm saying that I set up a lease for a new house", he replied.
"What?!"
"Zara, calm down."
"No, we're moving to a new house!", I yelled.
"Yes, I know but it's only because I can't waste gas driving twenty miles to this job when I could just move closer."
I could not believe what my dad was saying.
"This is unbelievable."
"I know."
"Do you?", I asked.
He sighed.
"Yes, I do honey."
I looked out the window. I was so angry with him. I mean, he knows how hard it was for me to adjust to Wakefield, and now I have to move again? This is insane.
We pulled into the driveway, and I got out and slammed the door.
My dad came up behind me.
"Zara wait", he said grabbing my arm.
"What?"
"I know you may not like it now, but I promise it'll get better", he said.
I shook my head and went inside. It was clear that I wasn't getting over this anytime soon.