Chapter 10

"Dad, could you not jump to conclusions?", I asked.
"Well, maybe I wouldn't if you weren't hopping around the city with buddy boy."
"His name is Roman, and he's really nice."
"Nice? Bringing you home at midnight doesn't seem nice", he replied.
"Why can't you just let me have new friends?"
"Because new friends turn into boyfriends and boyfriends turn into husbands", he snapped back.
I sighed.
"Just because you and moms marriage didn't work, doesn't mean you have to dictate my love life."
He froze, almost too stunned to speak.
"Well..."
"I'm sorry."
"No, it's ok", he replied.
He picked up his bag and walked upstairs.
I think I really hit a nerve when I brought up my mom. She wasn't the perfect woman, but before I was born she was the kind of woman any man would want. So, I couldn't totally blame my dad. Why things didn't work? I'm not sure. But, me and Roman are different. I trust him and he trusts me. It will just take him a little time to see that.
I heard a horn outside the kitchen. I looked out the window and saw Roman getting out of his car. I quickly put my stuff down and went outside.
"Hey."
"Hey", he said giving me a hug.
"What are you doing here?"
"I came to see you."
I smiled.
"That makes me feel special", I replied kissing him on the cheek.
He looked at my house.
"What?"
"Your Dad isn't too happy about us is he?", Roman asked.
"No, not right now."
"That's understandable. When you're dating someone like me it can cause a little curiosity", he said.
I punched him in the arm.
"He'll grow to like you."
"He doesn't have to like me Zara. As long as I have you that's enough", he replied.
I instantly melted when he said this. He was absolutely charming.
"Thanks."
Roman looked behind him.
"What is it?"
"Sarah", he replied.
"Who?"
He quickly turned around and stopped the woman in her tracks.
"What are you doing here?"
"Just a little walk around", she replied with a creepy laugh.
"Madama isn't coming anytime soon."
"Oh, I know. The whole forest has been aware that Madama will be delaying her little visit", she replied.
I took a step back.
"So, you're after Madama too?", I asked.
She laughed.
"Heavens no. Lord knows I can't stand Madama. But, if she causes no harm to my people, then she is not my concern", she replied.
"I'm going to ask you again", Roman said firmly.
"Pardon me?"
"What are you doing here?"
"You know, that's a good question. And I honestly feel like you shouldn't know", she replied.
"If there's anything going on involving us, then we should know", I joined in.
She looked at me. Her eyes were black and her hair was a light blonde. She walked closer.
"Who are you?", she asked.
"I'm Zara."
She smiled and looked at Roman.
"Well Zara, everyone has their own unique power."
Roman stood beside me.
"You need to leave", he said.
"Oh yes, I'll leave, but just remember, your father wouldn't be very proud of you", she replied.
I could see the anger in Roman's eyes.
"Leave. Now."
"The apple doesn't fall far from the tree."
She slowly stepped back and vanished into thin air.
I looked at Roman.
"What was that about?", I asked.
"Don't worry about it."
"Roman."
"What?", he asked.
"What was she talking about?"
He looked at me and shook his head.
"I said it's nothing."
He got in his car and drove off. I was so confused as to what the lady was talking about. And why did she mention his father? These thoughts ran through my mind. I was more curious than ever.