Chapter 8

I quietly hid behind the tree while Roman and his friends were discussing their plan.
"Tucker, I need you on guard. Since you're the quickest beast, you'll catch them before they get to us", Roman said.
"Alright."
"Zach, your strength is unmatched. If you see any opponent looking for a fight, you take them down."
"Got it."
"And James, your intellectual mindset will let us know they're next move."
"Right", he replied.
Ryan walked up to them.
"The coast is clear. We should move."
As I moved closer, I heard a scratching sound coming from behind me. Startled, I looked back, but I didn't see anything.
"Hello?", I asked.
There was no answer.
Just as I was about to move, a dark haired woman grabbed my hair and slung me to the ground.
"Ahhh!"
My scream caught the attention of Roman.
"Zara?"
"Help!"
He ran up to me and helped me off the ground.
"What are you doing here?", he asked.
"I...I came to help."
He sighed.
"It's too dangerous for you."
"But-"
"Duck!"
He pulled me down.
"Ryan! Get her out of here!"
"Where are you going?", I asked.
"I'm going to get Blair", he replied
Roman transformed and ran into the woods.
"Roman!"
Ryan grabbed my arm.
"C'mon, we gotta get you out of here!"
We ran to the nearest shelter. I was so out of breath and I'm pain that I could barely breathe.
"Wait, stop", I said panting.
Ryan let go of my arm.
I fell to the ground in absolute pain.
"We gotta keep going", he said.
"I can't."
He sighed.
"Zara, why'd you come?", he asked.
"I wanted to help."
"Well, you wanting to help just made things a little harder for us", he replied.
I held my head down.
"I'm sorry."
"If we don't keep moving, you're going to be in even more danger", he said helping me up.
"I thought the beasts were the good guys."
He looked at me.
"We are, but Blair isn't a beast. She's a loyal companion of Madama, and she will do anything to fulfill her duties. She must have caught on to your scent a while back. People like her only have one goal. And that is to destroy anything that stands in their way", Ryan replied.
I took a breathe.
"But, what about Roman?", I asked.
"He'll be fine."
We continued walking until we met the others.
"Hey guys", Zach said.
"Hey."
Ryan eased me down the bench.
"Stay here."
I nodded and he went over to Zach.
"Blair ruined everything."
"I know, but what is she doing here?", he replied.
"I don't know."
"If she's here, then Madama isn't far behind", Tucker said.
James stepped toward the trees and put his hand out. A blue mist appeared and he looked up.
"Change of plans", he said.
"What?"
"Madama isn't coming. I don't sense her or her native tribe", he replied.
I slowly got up.
"That can't be right. There has to be a reason she's here, or she wouldn't have attacked me", I said.
James looked at me.
"My intellectual insights are never wrong. I just scanned the whole forest and there is no sign of Madama or her tribe, and if there is it still doesn't mean it's her."
Tucker stepped in between us.
"Step back."
We did as he said.
He transformed and ran as fast as he could. He was back in less than ten seconds.
"Yep, nothing", he said.
Zach shoved him aside.
"Watch and learn."
He punched into the ground causing a huge impact. He felt the ground and examined the soil.
"The ground hasn't been stepped upon by any unknown forces in a long time. If she was here, I would've felt her footprints", he said.
Ryan sighed.
"Now what? We have no lead and Blair came alone. But, I don't know how that's possible if she's Madama's most loyal companion. It just doesn't make sense."
A couple seconds later we heard some noise by the bushes. It was quick and subtle.
"Whose there?", Ryan asked.
Roman slowly came out into the open.
"Roman!"
I ran up to him.
"I'm so glad you're ok."
"Me too", he replied.
Ryan came up behind us.
"So what happened with Blair?"
"She got away", he replied.
I touched his shoulder.
"I have a feeling we'll see her again."
He smiled and looked at the others.
"This isn't the end. This is just the beginning."

And just like that, the adventure started. We were on our way to find out about Madama and why Blair attacked me. Surely enough we would see her again, and next time, I'll be ready.