Chapter 6

My dad was up making breakfast.
"Hey Dad."
"Hey Kiddo, do you want some eggs and bacon", he asked.
"I'm good."
"Are you sure? I mean, I made sure I didn't overcook the bacon this time."
I nodded.
"Yeah, I'm good", I replied.
"Ok."
I grabbed my jacket and headed out the door.
"Where are you going?"
"I'm just going for a walk", I said.
"Okay, but be careful."
"I will Dad."
He gave me a worried look. Even though I wasn't a little kid anymore, he constantly worried about me going out, especially alone. I went down the road and breathed in the fresh air. I never knew heartbreak could cause so much emotional damage. I tried desperately to fight the tears that were forming in my eyes. It hurt to know that we wouldn't be friends anymore for a while. But deep inside, I blamed myself. I said it then, and I'm saying it now. Me and Luke have been friends for almost eight years. Just last year, we were talking about how we were going to be together, and get married. Now, all of that was just a dead dream.
As I was walking I wasn't really paying attention to my surroundings. From afar I could hear a loud horn, but couldn't really tell where it was coming from. It got closer and just as I looked up, I saw a truck speeding my way. I instantly froze, not knowing what to do. And just as I was about to get crushed, something swept me up out the way. We rolled on the ground.
"Are you okay?"
I looked up and saw a creature. It had black fur and dark hazel eyes. And it was staring at me.
"Who...what are you?", I asked scooting back.
He put his hand up as to assure me that I didn't need to worry.
"It's ok."
Just then, it's fur began to disappear and it's humanly features were showing. When they transformed I was incredibly shocked. It was Roman, the guy I had bumped into the other day.
"Roman?"
"Yeah."
"You're a.."
"Yes, I'm a beast", he replied.
My eyes grew big.
"So, y'all are real?"
"Yeah."
He helped me off the ground.
"We just keep a low profile", he explained.
"Oh."
"Yeah, you seem nervous?"
"No, I'm fine. I just didn't expect to have a beast saving my life", I replied.
He laughed.
"Well, I didn't exactly have saving a human on my list either."
"Well, now you do."
I looked into his eyes. They were so deep and pretty. And just like the other day, he was wearing a white shirt, and his muscles stood out very broadly.
"So, you workout?", I asked.
"Yeah."
"Okay, cool."
He smiled.
"Why?"
"You just look very..."
"Muscular?", he replied.
"Yeah."
I giggled nervously. I knew he could sense my fear, so I tried not to make things more awkward.
"Thanks by the way", I said.
"You're welcome."
I brushed off my jacket. I could see him looking around as if he sensed something.
"What is it?"
He looked at me.
"I have to go", he replied.
"Oh, ok."
He slowly stepped back and as he took off he changed back into a beast.
I just stood there. I was truly in shock. Not once have I seen anything like that in my entire life. Normally, I would be prepared for such an encounter, but this time Roman took the win. Not only was he cute, but he was very compassionate. He saved my life and I owe him.
I looked up at the sky and started walking home. Why his friends had such hate towards me, I don't know. But, I knew that Roman was different from the rest of them. And one day I'm hoping I could see him again.