Chapter 2

I gathered up all of my belongings and put them in a box. It contained my diary, jewelry, clothes, and other personal products. I have been cleaning all morning and wanted to take a break. I took a sip of my coffee and went downstairs. I found my Dad's old newspapers in a pile by the trash can. He has been reading the Old Times Newspapers since I was a little girl. I know it would hurt him to get rid of those after all this time. I went and opened the fridge. Of course, there was nothing but ham and turkey and a little bit of mustard left.
"Sandwiches it is then", I said to myself.
I got the bread out and fixed me a ham sandwich. After a couple minutes my doorbell rang.
Confused I asked who it was.
"Luke!", a voice on the other side yelled.
I smiled and went to let him in.
"Hey Luke."
"Hey Zara", he replied.
"What's up?"
"Nothing, I just wanted to stop by and check on you."
"Oh, well I'm just cleaning up", I replied.
He narrowed his eyes and tried to look behind me. I blocked him to make sure he couldn't see what was inside.
"Why are you blocking the doorway?", Luke asked.
"Why are you trying to get in the doorway?", I replied.
He smiled.
"Ok, ok you caught me."
As he was turning around to leave, he picked me up and moved me out the way.
"Luke!", I yelled.
"I knew it, you're packing."
"Yeah, I am."
"But why though?", he asked.
"Because, my dad got a new job and it costs a lot of gas to get from here to where he works."
"Oh."
"Yeah, it sucks."
He came up to me and looked me in the eyes.
"Zara, you know this won't change our friendship right?", he asked.
"Yes, I know that."
"Good, because what I'm about to tell you next might."
"What, what are you talking about?", I asked.
"You know that bowman class that I was talking about last week?"
"Yeah?"
"I've decided to go through with it", he replied.
"What?"
"Yeah, I think it would really help me with my life skills", he said.
"Luke, that class is dangerous. I mean, you don't know the first thing about shooting an arrow."
"I know, that's why I'm taking the class."
I felt my heart beating fast. Was this really happening?
"But, what about college?", I asked.
"Zara, school ends in six months. As long as I get my diploma, I'm fine."
I gave him a blank stare.
"Luke, this is really big for you, and I'm happy for you, but if you get hurt, I'll blame myself", I said.
He came up to me and caressed my face.
"Nothing's going to happen to me, I promise."
"Okay", I replied tearing up.
He smiled and handed me a piece of paper.
"What's this?"
"It's a letter."
"A letter?"
"Yeah, you don't have to read it now, but give it a look when you get a chance", he replied.
Before I could say anything else he slid past me and left the house. I felt like I was being crushed by life's changes. First, we're moving, and now Luke is going to take a bows and arrow class.
I put the letter in my pocket and threw away the sandwich. I wasn't hungry anymore. I just want things to be like they used to. But, sadly that was no longer the case.

This was not the interaction I expected to have with Luke. It seems he has put some thought in what he wanted to do and finally made his decision. And even though he knew it would hurt me, he had to do what was best for him.