Chapter 9

I wrote down notes as me and Roman discussed the next plan.
"I just don't think you should be risking your life to help us", Roman said.
"But I want to do this."
He looked at me.
"If something happens to you, I'd be really upset with myself.
I grabbed his hand.
"Nothing's going to happen to me", I replied.
"How do you know that? Now that you're involved, there are even more threats."
"I know."
"Blair got away last time, but she won't get away this time. It's clear that she didn't want to fight me. So, she ran away", he replied.
"Then let me draw her in."
"Are you crazy?"
"Maybe a little bit."
He shook his head.
"Zara, I can't put you at risk. This is something we have to do", he replied.
"If it was something you guys had to do, then why is Caesar getting involved?"
"That's different."
"How?", I asked.
"Caesar is one of the greatest monsters in our life time. It wasn't until late last year, that we earned his trust and he volunteered to help us."
"Oh."
"Yeah, he's not the nicest guy, but he's one of the bravest people you'll meet", Roman replied.
I took a breath and decided to ask what was on my mind.
"If they're after me, would my Dad be at risk too?", I asked.
"Yes."
"Then, I have to protect him", I said.
"No, you have to stay home."
"And leave you all alone?", I asked.
"I'm not alone, I have my pack."
He was gripping the steering wheel tightly.
"Roman, I know how much you want to protect me, but I can't just let you go out and die for me."
"I'm not asking for your permission", he replied.
"But, it's not like we're together."
He looked at me.
"I want to be with you Zara. Not only have I come to like you as a person, but I've come to trust you."
"Really?"
"Yeah, and I don't say that to everybody", he said.
I smiled.
"I want to be with you too, but..."
"But, what?"
"The last person I said I wanted to be with broke my heart", I admitted.
He stopped the car.
"I don't want to have to pay for someone else's mistakes", he whispered.
"I know."
"Then, let's take this one step at a time."
"Okay."
He started the car back up. He was so charismatic, and I could tell he really liked me. It's been over a week since I last talked to Luke. After he ended our friendship, I figured I would give love a break. But, now there's Roman. And he isn't just a guy. He's a beast. And I could feel my heart racing every time he's around. It was never suppose to be like this. I was never suppose to meet him, but here we are, admitting our feelings for each other.
"Would it be just us in the end?", I asked.
"What?"
"Would it be just me and you in the end?"
He laughed.
"In this world, probably not. But in my world, most definitely."