Chapter 14

We were gathered around waiting for Caesar.
"If Caesar's as loyal as he said he is, then we have a pretty good chance of winning the fight", Ryan said.
"That's true, but Caesar is a very controversial man. Even though he's helping us, I know he won't mind giving us a lecture on what we're doing wrong", Roman replied.
The sound of drums rang through the forest and we see a man with white hair and a white cloak followed by a group of young men. The walked as though they had high respect and dignity.
When they got to the entrance he put his hand up and they all stopped.
"Where is the one called Roman?", he asked.
Roman took a breath and stepped forward.
"That would be me."
Caesar held out his hand and Roman shook his hand.
"Nice to finally meet you, normally when we talk it's over phone", he replied.
"Well, I wouldn't have called you if we weren't in great need of your help."
He smiled.
"Oh nonsense, there are plenty of our kind", he said.
"Maybe of your kind, but not of your heart."
His facial expression changed.
"We will help you."
He looked up at the sky.
"Under one condition", he continued.
"What's that?", Roman asked.
"You must not use our name in vain. This interaction is private and will remain so until I say otherwise."
"Fine", Roman replied.
"Well then, we have a deal."
He held out his hand for Roman to shake but he just stared at him.
"Aren't you going to make it official?"
"It's too easy", Roman replied.
Caesar laughed and cleared his throat.
"You say it's too easy. Would that because of the request I made?", he asked.
"No, I expected that request from you. I just know you want more."
He looked at his people who were looking at him.
"I train my men day and night so they could be brave soldiers. I do not intimidate using force, only reason. My people have been around for many ages and completing such a task would result in a much higher penalty", he replied.
"So, what else do you want?"
"Protection."
"That's it?", Roman asked.
"And the east part of the land."
Roman raised his eyebrow.
"That part of the land belongs to the reserves and the people who don't have a home", he replied.
Caesar stepped closer.
"If you really want our help, you would grant my wishes."
Roman looked at me and back to Caesar.
"The land is yours then."
"Roman, what are you doing?", I asked.
"Then it is done. We shall shake on it."
He held out and his and Roman shook it.
"Great, great. We will see you on the battle field."
He left and all of his men followed him. As soon as they were out of sight, I walked up to him.
"What was that?"
"That was a last minute decision."
"But-"
"I only care about two things Zara. Winning the battle, and protecting you", he replied.
He walked toward the trees, but I ran after him.
"Roman, I'm not mad at you."
"I know."
"I just need you to understand that you don't have to do this alone", I replied grabbing his hand.
He kissed me.
"I love you."
"I love you too."
At that moment, we stood there in sync. We gazed into each others eyes and it felt peaceful. That was the kind of place I wanted to be at.

I thought about how much Roman cared about me. And the most reasonable thing to do was not join him in the battle. But, I thought about how far we've come and I just can't put that behind me. If Roman needed the support, I was going to be there regardless of the situation. And that was a promise.